Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bob Engelhardt View Post
    The 6" length makes a huge difference.
    Lovely work Bob.... but sometimes you make it so hard not to be childish!

Comment

• Bob: this looks like a great idea! But I'm in the middle of a whole house remodel. My 'roundtoit list is getting out of hand. How about waiting until I finish before you post anything else I need
      I cut it off twice; it's still too short
      Oregon, USA

Comment

• Originally posted by Tim Clarke View Post
        Bob: this looks like a great idea! But I'm in the middle of a whole house remodel. My 'roundtoit list is getting out of hand. How about waiting until I finish before you post anything else I need
        You do know that list is written on a hoola hoop right? At least it seems like that on my end.
        If it wasn't done the hard way, I didn't do it.

Lillooet
        British Columbia
        Canada.

Comment

• Gentlemen,
          A fellow on one of the other model engineering forums built a mini ratchet and I had to make one. Wiha sells mini sockets so I went to their Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3373.JPG
Views:	441
Size:	237.2 KB
ID:	1956319 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3374.JPG
Views:	442
Size:	591.1 KB
ID:	1956316 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3371.JPG
Views:	447
Size:	639.5 KB
ID:	1956317 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3372.JPG
Views:	447
Size:	642.6 KB
ID:	1956318 website and ordered all the small Imperial size sockets. As it was they were all on sale. I wanted to have it ratchet both directions so I took my 1/4 inch drive Craftsman ratchet apart and started measuring all the parts. Once I had everything drawn I scaled it by 1/2 which made the overall length 2.60 inches long.
          The ratchet wheel blank was drilled in the corners then through the center. This gave me a close approximation of the hex size for the sockets. (4mm) I then filed the corners out and fitted each socket into the wheel blank. The ratchet teeth were duplicated in scale by cutting with a home made V cutter. The ratchet wheel has 36 teeth. I drew up the ratchet selector pawl and planned out the machining steps to duplicate it in 1/2 size. The handle is made from aluminum. I drilled the necessary holes and then bored for the ratchet wheel and pawl. This was done on the mill. I then mounted it in the 4 jaw chuck in the lathe and indicated the hole true and flat. This was to cut the slot for the 3/8 inch retaining clip. The handle is through drilled for a rod with a ball end to sit against the pawl. This was made from drill rod and the ball tip was hardened. On the other end I silver soldered a washer for a spring to sit against. On top of the spring is a follower rod which is held in place with a 5-40 set screw at the end of the handle. The small selector lever was machined and fixed to the pawl shaft with a 0-80 flat head Phillips screw. To hold the sockets in place I tapped the ratchet wheel for a 2-56 socket head set screw. This only retains the socket as the hex does the driving.

Comment

• These pictures are after assembly with one of the sockets in place.
            Attached Files

Comment

• Big day of machining........

That large demonstration meter I restored had a pair of round head screws as posts limiting the motion of the voltage range switch arm.

Thinking that was too crude looking, I cut the screw heads down to be the same diameter as the unthreaded shanks... looks much better., except that the brass is not tarnished yet where the machining was done.
              3313 5160 4357 4344 3174 9120

Keep eye on ball.
              Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

Birds are NOT real, they are spying on you

Comment

• Smart work, George! Very nice indeed.

Your next challenge is to make a similar-sized torque-wrench, like the tiny one an oral surgeon uses to install dental implants.

Comment

• Originally posted by gbritnell View Post
                  ... The ratchet wheel blank was drilled in the corners then through the center. ...
                  I like that! It seems obvious, but I've not heard of it before. Like this, then:

Click image for larger version  Name:	hex drill pattern.jpg Views:	6 Size:	57.5 KB ID:	1956403

Is there a rule-of-thumb for the size of the corner drills (relative to hex size)? The smaller the corner drill, the less corner filing, but more on-flat filing. I know ... find the equation for the total area to be filed & differentiate for the minimum 😉
                  Bob Engelhardt
                  Last edited by Bob Engelhardt; 08-13-2021, 12:20 PM.

Comment

• No cool ratchets for me haha, just some making do at work with no tooling. I thought this was a decent setup for what I needed to do; worked!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210812_125336.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	4.47 MB
ID:	1956407
                    21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
                    1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

• Originally posted by The Metal Butcher View Post
                      No cool ratchets for me haha, just some making do at work with no tooling. I thought this was a decent setup for what I needed to do; worked!

Shop-made "wedg-it" clamps! Clever!
                      3313 5160 4357 4344 3174 9120

Keep eye on ball.
                      Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

Birds are NOT real, they are spying on you

Comment

• Originally posted by Tim Clarke View Post
                        Bob: this looks like a great idea! But I'm in the middle of a whole house remodel. My 'roundtoit list is getting out of hand. How about waiting until I finish before you post anything else I need
                        I'll try, but the weather has kept me trapped inside and in the shop. Anyhow, it's good for you to wait, cause there might be improvements. For instance - I decided that the crank stuck out too far and reworked it:

Name:	IMG_E2274.JPG
Views:	332
Size:	825.0 KB
ID:	1956484

That also gave me the chance to make the hex oversize, to fit the oversize socket & not have it so loose.

Comment

• Tapping 5/8x24 TPI in a piece of 6AL4V Titanium.
                          Bought the correct OSG tap, turning the chuck by hand, trying to keep the tap
                          straight.
                          So far, so good. Very slow going.
                          Using catalyzed Sulphur cutting oil, (Huber’s HAB-cool ) WOW it is stinky!

Name:	DSC00243.JPG
Views:	299
Size:	617.0 KB
ID:	1956531

Comment

• Originally posted by The Metal Butcher View Post
                            No cool ratchets for me haha, just some making do at work with no tooling. I thought this was a decent setup for what I needed to do; worked!

Name:	IMG_20210812_125336.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	4.47 MB
ID:	1956407
                            Good bodge, but be careful with only a single pusher at either end on a large piece like that. Better to use two small ones at the right end and push with the large one between them at the left end, sort of triangulates the force and helps resist twisting better. But for light fly cuts (looks like that was what you were doing, anyway) you can probably get away with the two.

Comment

• Originally posted by eKretz View Post

Good bodge, but be careful with only a single pusher at either end on a large piece like that. Better to use two small ones at the right end and push with the large one between them at the left end, sort of triangulates the force and helps resist twisting better. But for light fly cuts (looks like that was what you were doing, anyway) you can probably get away with the two.
                              Yeah, if I was taking any actually heavy cuts, not only would it fly out, but that crap machine would chatter itself into an aneurysm. But it's graphite, so you can cheat like the wind. I did have to bump it straight and it wasn't super easy. Held pretty well for what it was. But you are correct.
                              21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
                              1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

• Originally posted by kj4oll View Post
                                Tapping 5/8x24 TPI in a piece of 6AL4V Titanium.
                                Bought the correct OSG tap, turning the chuck by hand, trying to keep the tap
                                straight.
                                So far, so good. Very slow going.
                                Using catalyzed Sulphur cutting oil, (Huber’s HAB-cool ) WOW it is stinky!

Name:	DSC00243.JPG
Views:	299
Size:	617.0 KB
ID:	1956531
                                What did they charge for Tap is it specifically for Titanium,I made a sliding Tap Holder with a salvaged sliding spline from a truck then mounted small 4 Jaw Scroll Chuck works great. Click image for larger version

Name:	9312B779-47A9-47FB-98AB-4BCE05E2B75B.png
Views:	284
Size:	2.23 MB
ID:	1956548

Comment

Working...
                                X