No announcement yet.

What did you machine today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ledna, your post did not show where you are at. Here in the USA it is against the law to Own, Use or Build a silencer.

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
    Oregon Coast

Comment

• Originally posted by lugnut View Post
      Ledna, your post did not show where you are at. Here in the USA it is against the law to Own, Use or Build a silencer.
      I'm not trying to make any point, but just clearing a common misconception. Silencers are legal in the USA, but they are regulated. You just have to pay a tax to get / use one. There may be local prohibitions enacted at the cities or state level. In most of the world it's considered polite to use a silencer.

Dan
      At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

Ledna, your post did not show where you are at. Here in the USA it is against the law to Own, Use or Build a silencer.
        Where did you come up with that? They're perfectly legal in 39 of 50 states in the US. The making stuff up light is on.

And it says his location under his name.
        Hobbyist: someone who makes something sound harder than it is.
        Professional: someone who cant afford to be a hobbyist.

Comment

• What did I machine today? Six C clamps made by cutting 1 inch wide segments from 3 inch square pipe, then cutting each segment into two C shapes. Drill and tap one leg, insert bolt. These are custom made to hold a 1/2 inch thick piece to 1-1/2 square tubing. Because the 'jaws' don't need to close smaller than about 2 inches, I insert the bolt from the inside and epoxy a wingnut on the exposed bolt end. Hand tighten only. I'm exploring the idea of machining the bolt head to take a sort of thick washer which would be free to turn on the bolt head, but not fall off. Same as any clamp with the swivel piece on the end of the threaded part.
          I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

If that is a "Silencer", I'm not to sure we should be praising highly illegal items. Just saying.
            Americans

Originally posted by lugnut View Post
            He says where he's from in the very first post.

Comment

• I cant see why u guys have so much red tape to get a silencer, but a new gun is almost over the counter, in south africa here we can wait up to 2 years for getting your application approved and getting your license, now that is bad

Comment

• Made an extension sleeve for chain link fence post, in fact two of them. Used 2" schedule 40 pipe, thought I had a case of work hardening on the Enco 13X40 so moved to my Clausing 12X36 and after getting set up in the 4 jaw discovered the problem is not work hardening.

Checked the Enco for loose spindle bearings and checked the run out on the D1-4 taper- estimate 0.0002" there. I will check my bit height tomorrow and the support bars etc. on that 4 jaw chuck. The work material starts acting like it is becoming loose in the chuck but everything is tight.

Comment

• Ha, I need to make an extension for one of my line posts. I seem to remember trimming it too closely to begin with, then a neighbor's tree fell on the fence, driving the post a little deeper. Got a pic?

Comment

• Ledna where are you from?

Comment

• Plunger, Pietermaritzburg in South Africa near the coast

Comment

• SLEEPY TOWN.Must be very dry up there.Nice to have another s african on board.Very few of us here. I thought it was just me and my mate wern.

Comment

• Hi plunger where are u from and wern, waar bly julle in ons mooi land?

Comment

• I am from durban and Werner is from Gauteng.What machines have you got to make that silencer?

Comment

• A friend just showed up with a new after market ball joint for a full sized 70's Impala which was too big to fit in the 70's Camaro control arm...so I turned it down about 75 thou (including the knurling) and it was still all my 10 ton press would do to install it in the control arm but he's happy...and that's what counts. (Stock Car stuff, eh.)

Comment

• Made an adapter for a local Hospital today.
                                OD is 2" NPT, ID is a screwball medical fitting thread, 1-1/16"-16 UNS
                                I was able to Thread Mill both the Id oddball thread, and the 2" NPT on the flipside.
                                I should charge the Hospital $20,000 for it, since one Aspirin in the Emergency Room costs $500.

Comment

Working...
                                X