X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bented
    • Jun 2019

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

Ouch! Yeah that looks like typical A36.... whenever I have to specify a flame cut shape, I call out that it "Must clean up at x.xx" dimension in a lathe or whatever. And then spend a bunch of time with the grinder getting all the nasty off. Grinding disc is cheaper than tool bits.

My last employer was kinda cool, he started ordering everything laser cut from our suppliers (http://www.kleinsteel.com/) and wow did it ever make my life *so* much easier!!! you have *no* idea how much work that saved me.....
    There are few shops that will laser cut from 4" thick plate.
    Tool cost is unimportant, they are supplied by the same person that ordered the burned parts (-:

Comment

• Cenedd
      • Nov 2017

Originally posted by thaiguzzi View Post

Ditto.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	013.jpg
Views:	626
Size:	1.68 MB
ID:	1879420
      What have you got going on at the back edge of your cross slide there? Assume the handle is a lock but to the right of that, is it some sort of stop?

Comment

• Bob Engelhardt
        • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Bented View Post
        Some very unpleasant A36 burned stock about 4" thick. ...
        That was cut from 4" plate? If so I'm amazed by how smooth it is (except the corners, that is).

Comment

• Bob Engelhardt
          • Jan 2017

I just had a thought -- why not turn a diameter of round bar and then file half of it away into a D shape. Stick that in the chuck with the flat side down and that gives you the center.
          Then file/grind 1/2 of that away so there is an edge at the center.

Comment

• Bented
            • Jun 2019

Originally posted by Bob Engelhardt View Post

That was cut from 4" plate? If so I'm amazed by how smooth it is (except the corners, that is).
            If the vendor has sufficient equipment a fairly smooth surface may be achieved on flame cut stock much thicker then 4", equipment is the key factor.

The person cutting the parts shown pierced them on the cut line leaving a nasty gouge on the OD, they did however clean to size.

This is a much nicer job, about 2" thick.
            Last edited by Bented; 06-06-2020, 11:37 PM.

Comment

• J Tiers
              • Jan 2004

Got the second 30 heatsinks done. Good thing I had not taken down the setup yet.
              CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
              Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
              Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
              I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
              Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

• thaiguzzi
                • Apr 2012

I just had a thought -- why not turn a diameter of round bar and then file half of it away into a D shape. Stick that in the chuck with the flat side down and that gives you the center.
                Yeah that's another popular version, still not as quick though.

Comment

• thaiguzzi
                  • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Cenedd View Post

What have you got going on at the back edge of your cross slide there? Assume the handle is a lock but to the right of that, is it some sort of stop?
                  Don't think i've got a pic of it in action.
                  Basically its an adjustable stop for a mag backed indicator, when i need really accurate cross feed input, more than my dials.
                  A cheapo DRO.
                  Sort of.

Name:	055.jpg
Views:	589
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	1879631
                  This indicator.

Comment

• MattiJ
                    • Dec 2016

It worsk but..More often than not you have something chucked and need to change the tools. Same applies to tailstock also so its easiest to make separate center height gauge that sits on cross slide.

Comment

• The Metal Butcher
                      • May 2018

Something simple. A new t-nut, stud, and spacer ring for the lagun. The spacer ring is the exact height difference between the lagun and rockwell so that toolholders are automatically on center height for both lathes. It's a good stop-gap solution until we get a proper CA and it also works well to use the existing AXA sized tooling we have when doing lighter work.

Name:	IMG_7447ECS.jpg
Views:	697
Size:	196.0 KB
ID:	1880018
                      21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
                      1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

• nickel-city-fab
                        • Jul 2017

Started making a boring bar last night out of an old AMC Jeep axle. Ended up using some carbide for that, turning between centers. Finish dims were .745 X 12" . I want to know what alloy Dana Corp was using and what heat treat, because the outer .100 of the shaft was harder than Superman's .... er, Little Richard. PILES of little blue chips and 3 busted/dull pcs of carbide..... was turning @ ~240 RPM @ 1.250 OD.

I still have to cross-drill .250 for the bit, and another hole TBD for the set screw. Will be cross-drilling at 45 deg so it can go blind hole if need be.
                        25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

• Tim Clarke
                          • Mar 2001

Made this flywheel and fit up the governor parts. Click image for larger version

Name:	A5AE6FFB-83B6-4765-ACBF-0DBE46D7DF0B.jpeg
Views:	424
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	1881144
                          I cut it off twice; it's still too short
                          Oregon, USA

Comment

• J Tiers
                            • Jan 2004

Made some bronze pipe adaptors for a friend who is putting in a custom fountain. Forgot to take pics, but it was nothing that special.
                            CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
                            Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
                            Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
                            I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
                            Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

• Tundra Twin Track
                              • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Tim Clarke View Post
                              Made this flywheel and fit up the governor parts. Click image for larger version

Name:	A5AE6FFB-83B6-4765-ACBF-0DBE46D7DF0B.jpeg
Views:	424
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	1881144
                              That looks real impressive,nice work.

Comment

• Tim Clarke
                                • Mar 2001

Shortened up a damaged shotgun barrel today. I also discovered that not only I didn’t have any 3-48 flathead screws, neither did my favorite hardware store. There’s a capscrew in the hole temporarily. Click image for larger version

Name:	EC434423-7162-4222-BE8F-81A8CB492ADA.jpeg
Views:	377
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	1881674Click image for larger version

Name:	93DE70BB-B985-489F-A698-22E62FA002B8.jpeg
Views:	366
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	1881675Click image for larger version

Name:	D4B6DD54-08C7-4CD4-9839-D930E1AA2CC6.jpeg
Views:	364
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	1881676 I’ll send this off for threading the muzzle end for choke tubes. I’d love to do this part myself, but there is really good purpose built tooling and for 1 off jobs it’s prohibitively expensive.
                                I cut it off twice; it's still too short
                                Oregon, USA

Comment

Working...
                                X