X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Metal Butcher
    replied
    Originally posted by Dave C View Post

Nice work. I've been meaning to make one of those for years but forget about it until the next time a clog happens­čśĆ
    Thanks. Cleaned another drain with it today, it was full of black gook (iron pipe) so we made quite a mess. Got the drain working though.

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    Looks like I'm gonna have another 30 of those heatsinks to do. Just got an email.

Leave a comment:

• Dave C
    replied
    Originally posted by The Metal Butcher View Post
    I made a sewer jetter out of some auminum. The design was a bit tricky, but it worked pretty good for a first prototype. Dad had tried a commercially available unit in the past and it didn't work as the hose was too flexable. This one coupled straight onto the pressure washer hose and with a few hundred psi was stiff enough to get past the clog apparently. I drilled the holes at #60 (0.040"), but I think smaller would work better to get the PSI up a bit higher. There are 4 holes angled at 45 degrees to the rear and 1 forward. I just roughly copied the design of the commercial unit from memory but made it to where I could manufacture it and use the fittings we had on hand.

Click image for larger version

Name:	sewer jetter small.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	1877779
    Nice work. I've been meaning to make one of those for years but forget about it until the next time a clog happens­čśĆ

Leave a comment:

• Cenedd
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob Engelhardt View Post
    I made a whole bunch 'o needles
    Those look sort of hollow (like curls)....were you aiming for hypodermics?! Bet you'll be finding those for weeks....and not in a good way! At least they look big enough that you'll be able to see them sticking out your finger.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Engelhardt
    replied
    I made a whole bunch 'o needles

Name:	IMG_1678.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	756.7 KB
ID:	1877797

Leave a comment:

• challenger
    replied
    Nothing special. I've been wanting to replace the jaw liners for a vise I have. I milled, drilled and screwed together two sets of nylon liners and added a four rare earth magnets to each one. Then I put an aluminum skin on them. Hopefully they last? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200525_162020.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	4.29 MB
ID:	1877788Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200525_162029.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	4.27 MB
ID:	1877789

Leave a comment:

• Tungsten dipper
    replied
    I'll bet that will blow the crap out of things...

Leave a comment:

• The Metal Butcher
    replied
    I made a sewer jetter out of some auminum. The design was a bit tricky, but it worked pretty good for a first prototype. Dad had tried a commercially available unit in the past and it didn't work as the hose was too flexable. This one coupled straight onto the pressure washer hose and with a few hundred psi was stiff enough to get past the clog apparently. I drilled the holes at #60 (0.040"), but I think smaller would work better to get the PSI up a bit higher. There are 4 holes angled at 45 degrees to the rear and 1 forward. I just roughly copied the design of the commercial unit from memory but made it to where I could manufacture it and use the fittings we had on hand.

Name:	sewer jetter small.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	1877779

Leave a comment:

• flathead4
    replied
    Originally posted by thaiguzzi View Post
    I've done the same as above, but the boring head runs in its own steel block replacing the whole QCTP.
    Works well.
    If I had a block a steel big enough I might have done it that way. I'm sure it would be sturdier. Although an advantage of using the tool post is you can easily change the height and make shapes other than a sphere.

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    31 heatsink angles from a guy I know. Actually MIL work, but he is a sub to another company that is a sub to yet another. Vendor did not get the surfacing cut quite close enough to the mount surface on the other side of the angle, so the devices did not sit right.

Had fun figuring out how to reach the spot, which is about 0.2 from one side of the angle, and that side 3" or so wide. Too close for any of my stub arbors, too long for any extended end mills.

Finally did it with a Woodruff cutter that was big enough in diameter to clear the end mill holder I used to hold it and get the reach. Finish was "OK"... all that was needed was clearance for the edge of the PWB. He is going to have to get the pieces re-alodined after he gets some double-stick tape (used to hold an insulator sheet) off of them.

Just one groove down the length, with the parts fixtured on an angle plate. Had to use paper on clamp surfaces because they are also heat transfer surfaces that get greased to the chassis.
    Last edited by J Tiers; 05-25-2020, 03:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Fixit
    replied
    Hi flathead4

I too have a SB9A and this will be just the ticket. Thanks for the additional information, this will let me add another project to the list, which is getting longer as each day passes instead of shortening as it should be

TX
    Mr fixit for the family
    Chris

Leave a comment:

• thaiguzzi
    replied
    I've done the same as above, but the boring head runs in its own steel block replacing the whole QCTP.
    Works well.

Leave a comment:

• flathead4
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr Fixit View Post
    Flathead4,

That is a boring head for a mill that you are showing as a ball turner. Can you elaborate on what and how you use it? I've got a boring head that would work if I can see more of the details of you setup. I'd really like to have a ball turning tool, yours looks like a possible project that I could do.

TX
    Mr fixit for the family
    Chris
    I used a spare boring bar holder with two Oilite bearings from McMaster. The assembly in the foreground is made from 1/2" drill rod threaded into a chunk of scrap CRS. I turned and threaded the adapter with it screwed onto the drill rod and held in a collet. My boring head is a cheap import and there is a some play in adjustment screw so it is a bit tedious to use. If I were to do it again, I would make the adapter shorter. My lathe is 9" South Bend and as you can see I have the cross slide pulled all the way back and that only allows me to make about a 2-1/2" ball. Also, the cutters that come with the boring head are the wrong shape for this use. I ground a piece of HSS to a shape that worked but I need to refine that a bit.

Name:	ballturner1.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	1877433

Name:	ballturner2.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	1877434

Name:	ballturner3.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	1877435

Leave a comment:

• Mr Fixit
    replied
    Flathead4,

That is a boring head for a mill that you are showing as a ball turner. Can you elaborate on what and how you use it? I've got a boring head that would work if I can see more of the details of you setup. I'd really like to have a ball turning tool, yours looks like a possible project that I could do.

TX
    Mr fixit for the family
    Chris

Leave a comment:

• Tundra Twin Track
    replied
    Originally posted by ATW View Post
    Was getting fed up with the cheap steel clamp strip for the 626 mill Y axis rubber way cover trapping swarf and oil, so took a bit of aluminium bar an milled a suitable pocket to hold the way cover:

Name:	20200419-way-cover-clamp-4508.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	274.9 KB
ID:	1871536

In place:

Name:	20200419-way-cover-clamp-4510.jpg
Views:	513
Size:	174.7 KB
ID:	1871537

Unexpected (marginal) benefit, an extra couple of mm of Y travel as the countersunk screws stick out less than the original cap heads.
    Very nice ATW,I need to make something similar my Mill has no rubber apron at all.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X