No announcement yet.

Boiler Clock - project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paper rivet pattern glued to boiler shell and holes drilled ready for rivets. All these rivets are just for show.

Some 1/2" thick flat bar with insert dies and pivot at back for setting rivets deep inside. Hammering flat bar on outside to set the rivet inside the tube. Lesson learned several light taps is much better then heavy blows as the brass is in annealed state and easy to ding up.

Drawn up on the computer, printed out and pasted to brass sheet was pattern with fish mouth cutout for cross tube that will hold the clock face. This was then rolled and made ready for silver brazing.

Comment

A piece of pipe the right diameter had sandpaper taped to it and the fishmouth was sanded for a good fit with the flange that will be silver brazed to it.

A piece of brass was cut oversize without a hole in the center. This was rolled for a good fit to diameter of boiler shell. Laid on a soft fire brick with heavy weight on top in prep for silver brazing.

After brazing and pickling the center was cut out with hole saw.

The outside of the flange was laid out for grinding, used rule for marking the width.

Comment

Wow! I am impressed and j.e.a.l.o.u.s!

Can't wait to see the finish.
        Paul A.
        SE Texas

Make it fit.
        You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

This definitely has a serious cool factor. Great project log, Gary.

Comment

Checking fit of cross tube for clock.

First every other hole was drilled and tapped with 2-56 screws to get good tight fit. Clock face and glass hinged door were an Ebay purchase. Clock face in place for checking fit.

The holes in between the screws were riveted by squeezing with C-clamp and then the screws were removed and those riveted.

Guess it should be a crime but put a cheap quartz battery operated clock in. It sure would of been nice to have an old mechanical clock but they were out of price range and needing repair.

Comment

Fake key wind posts installed and a spacer ring had to be made as wasn't enough room for dial post when glass door was closed.

In the back cross tube is access to speaker for the clock. This has a 10 second record message that can be played on the hour. Have found some steam engine sounds on internet for download but haven't found cord yet that will fit the input jack on recorder yet. So it plays the Westminister Chimes now.

Door panel for back door cnced out and centered on wood face plate and held on with some clear packing tape for make some circular grooves.

Comment

Back "door" in place.

Fire box door. Will be access to wind spring motor.

Lucky find in my scrap brass was this large cast brass casting that looked like some kind of pipe adapter. Clamped to mill table and with slitting saw went around from the inside to cut in two. First had set up on faceplate in lathe but looked too scary. The mill was a good choice. This will be the base for the boiler shell.

Gluing up some wood segments for base. Using the trick of gluing up in two halves and making the halves match by sanding mating edges straight before gluing to each other.

Comment

I'm sitting here going through this thread with my mouth hanging open. Simply stunning.
                  I'm here hoping to advancify my smartitude.

Comment

Got off Ebay an old spring motor from old wind up phonograph. Needed some work and rearranging of parts to make fit inside the boiler tube. The mystery why the hunk of wood was wired in was because the gears for the governor were stripped and the wood was a brake to slow the speed down. Luckily there is You Tube videos on how to take apart, clean and re-grease the two 14 foot clock springs.

All the shaft bearings had been steel shaft in steel hole. Bored out the holes and put in ball bearings. Had to make two replacement gears. Too make smaller diameter too fit inside the boiler shell the governor was moved on the top and the wrap spring one way clutch was replaced with a ratchet pawl so input windup shaft could be shortened.

Spring motor installed inside base. The belt drive was used to move the output shaft to the center to be in alignment for shaft to drive the crankshaft.

To be able to connect the spring motor to the works on the top a square drive shaft was used with spring loaded brass sliding brass tube. That way can reach in one of the cross tubes to complete the connection.

Comment

The amount of work into that thing is just incredible - and quality stuff too, I hope we get to see a short U-tube of it in action sometime soon...

Comment

Finished and put together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAjU8OXzXkg

Thanks for watching....... gary

Comment

very cool indeed.

Comment

Gary

Thanks for sharing your build with us. That clock is great.

I always enjoy your post.

Hal

Comment

Dats Purrrrty.

Gary, you must smear brasso on your toast for breakfast

Hope you don't mind me sharing these links on Facebook. I'd like mere mortals to learn the definition of 'craftsmanship'.
                              Definition: Racecar - a device that turns money into noise.

Comment

What a wonderful, well executed project!!! I love it!!!--Brian
                                Brian Rupnow

Comment

Working...
                                X