X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cuttings
    replied
    Great job Gary
    My wife is a clock collector so she has been watching also.

Leave a comment:

• PonderCreekStudio
    replied
    Yep, absolutely outstanding work.

Leave a comment:

• JRouche
    replied
    Outstanding work. One of the parts I liked the most is you have used MANY workshop practices. From the lathe, mill, cnc, die filer, hand file, sanding, brazing, polishing, forming, cutting and sawing. YOU NAME IT!! You used it. Outstanding work. JR

Leave a comment:

• Orrin
    replied
    Gary, you are in a league of your own, a class act that the rest of us can aspire to, but never hope to equal.

Best regards,
    Orrin

Leave a comment:

• Smokedaddy
    replied
    Gary, thanks for sharing your project, what an inspiration (at least for me).

Outstanding,
    -SD:

Leave a comment:

• topct
    replied
    And the older it gets, even more. I like it.

Leave a comment:

• brian Rupnow
    replied
    What a wonderful, well executed project!!! I love it!!!--Brian

Leave a comment:

• browne92
    replied
    Dats Purrrrty.

Gary, you must smear brasso on your toast for breakfast

Hope you don't mind me sharing these links on Facebook. I'd like mere mortals to learn the definition of 'craftsmanship'.

Leave a comment:

• Hal
    replied
    Gary

Thanks for sharing your build with us. That clock is great.

I always enjoy your post.

Hal

Leave a comment:

• A.K. Boomer
    replied
    very cool indeed.

Leave a comment:

• gary hart
    replied
    Finished and put together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAjU8OXzXkg

Thanks for watching....... gary

Leave a comment:

• A.K. Boomer
    replied
    The amount of work into that thing is just incredible - and quality stuff too, I hope we get to see a short U-tube of it in action sometime soon...

Leave a comment:

• gary hart
    replied
    Got off Ebay an old spring motor from old wind up phonograph. Needed some work and rearranging of parts to make fit inside the boiler tube. The mystery why the hunk of wood was wired in was because the gears for the governor were stripped and the wood was a brake to slow the speed down. Luckily there is You Tube videos on how to take apart, clean and re-grease the two 14 foot clock springs.

All the shaft bearings had been steel shaft in steel hole. Bored out the holes and put in ball bearings. Had to make two replacement gears. Too make smaller diameter too fit inside the boiler shell the governor was moved on the top and the wrap spring one way clutch was replaced with a ratchet pawl so input windup shaft could be shortened.

Spring motor installed inside base. The belt drive was used to move the output shaft to the center to be in alignment for shaft to drive the crankshaft.

To be able to connect the spring motor to the works on the top a square drive shaft was used with spring loaded brass sliding brass tube. That way can reach in one of the cross tubes to complete the connection.

Leave a comment:

• gizmo2
    replied
    I'm sitting here going through this thread with my mouth hanging open. Simply stunning.

Leave a comment:

• gary hart
    replied
    Back "door" in place.

Fire box door. Will be access to wind spring motor.

Lucky find in my scrap brass was this large cast brass casting that looked like some kind of pipe adapter. Clamped to mill table and with slitting saw went around from the inside to cut in two. First had set up on faceplate in lathe but looked too scary. The mill was a good choice. This will be the base for the boiler shell.

Gluing up some wood segments for base. Using the trick of gluing up in two halves and making the halves match by sanding mating edges straight before gluing to each other.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X