Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT California solvent ban, can't find naphtha?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT California solvent ban, can't find naphtha?

Perhaps this has been discussed before but I cannot find it, as you may have gathered I live in California where all good things seem to be illegal, I used to buy cans of naphtha for my zippo lighters, and other ones I have which take the same type of fuel, it was clean burning and the same as regular lighter fluid, which if you ever read the back of a can of ronson or zippo fluid always said "contains naphtha" well it's been a while since I used these lighters and I've found out, when I went to purchase a new can that my state, in it's all-knowing wisdom has decided to make naphtha illegal!! So that's ok, I figure I'll just buy a can if regular lighter fluid and keep on smokin (watch these bastards outlaw that next!) anyway I get a can and fill up my zippo and the thing doesn't light like it should, it takes 20 strikes on the wheel to make it light, I look on the back of the fluid can and it no longer says it contains naphtha!! It smells different, stinks more and burns dirtier than a $2.00 hooker!! I've put regular gasoline in these that worked better than this! So my question is, are there any alternatives that will work as well as the good o'l fashion naphtha or do I have to go out to Nevada and smuggle back a few gallons?

hahaha... I recommend smuggling back a few gallons and put a large red tag on your car: "It is known to the state of california that I WILL give you cancer if you tick me off"
    Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

I've heard gasoline works. Might want get some on your next trip to Nevada.
      BTW Stop setting hookers on fire.

It's probably illegal.

Comment

It's been determined that naphtha causes cancer in labrotory rats!!! My girl friends brother buys this yellow rain parka at the local farm supply store. There is a tag on the inside of the parka that says "this garment contains chemicals that are known to cause cancer in the state of California" Well hell he's not going to eat the thing.
        You might try some of that Coleman lantern fluid.

JL..........................

Comment

Simple answer?......move to another state.

Comment

I was about to suggest Coleman Fuel.. seems perfect. Less explosive than gasoline, doesn't smell terrible, easily obtained.

Then I checked, and saw that it's naptha.

Guess you're going to Vegas!

Comment

This is what happens when the people allow a one party rule of the state. As more of the people that pay taxes leave It causes more creative taxes. A ever downward spiral.

Comment

Dont feel too bad, a LOT of stuff is being banned and pulled from stores (big one is weed killers, which unless they are the NEW green ones you cant buy in Canada anymore). Same with all the solvents I used to use, cant get REAL carb cleaner (Brake cleaner is crap), cant get Carbon Tet or even EDC (Ethylene Dichloride) for glueing plexiglass (have to use Methylene Chloride which is half as good).

Anything someone decided is "hazardous" will eventually be pulled from the shelves and replaced with more expensive less effective "green versions". I guess the rule being in this brave new world (the kind were everyone sues everyone) is that "the public are all blithering morons that must be protected from themselves". So, if you find something that works GOOD and it looks like its not safe to drink, stock up on it before its banned LOL

Comment

It's been determined that naphtha causes cancer in labrotory rats!!!

EVERYTHING causes cancer in laboratory rats.

The rats should maybe look for another line of work.

Comment

Originally posted by Rustybolt View Post
                    It's been determined that naphtha causes cancer in labrotory rats!!!

EVERYTHING causes cancer in laboratory rats.

The rats should maybe look for another line of work.
                    Actualy they have special rats that develope cancer like 50% to 100% of the time (depending on exact breed) and the only question then is 'how fast does the cancer develope and does it mildly increase the chance of highly prone to cancer rats to get cancer'

Also, Oxygen causes cancer. Someone tell california that so they can ban oxygen in all government offices and let the problem solve itself.
                    I hear woodgas (Carbon monoxide) is a good green replacement for oxygen and is known to actively prevent cancer!
                    Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

This is California.
                      We have banned everything except old hippies and mid aged yuppies.

Comment

I have a can of Ronsonol that I bought about a month ago at Walmart and it says "Contains Naptha" on the label. It's possible that it was old stock. I haven't heard about a naptha ban here in California. They did ban nitrocellulose lacquer, acrylic enamel, high quality lacquer thinner and lacquer retarder a few years ago.

I'm sure that the OP could go to Nevada and get some naptha. It's as good an excuse as any. "Honey, I have to go to Nevada to get some Naptha. I'll be home next week. OK?"

Comment

A friend insists I should avoid the ronson brand fluid, because it is stinky low-refined junk. He says the zippo brand smells better, etc.

I would not use gasoline for anything like that these days. It has too many nasty additives. At least they took that stupid MBT out of it. Nasty stuff.

Comment

I imagine that this came from Cal. Prop 65, which may or may not have been a good idea at first. Since then, it's become (from what I understand) a mess. Anything that has any possible chance or for which the faintest accusation has been made to cause cancer gets listed. Any product that uses or might use or could use or has used anything that is/was/could-be listed says that it might have bad juju in it, etc, etc. The net result, anyplace or thing that uses any substance has a warning on it that it might cause something bad... It's a classic case of "if everything is special then nothing is special".

Before typing this up, I went to their list of chemicals. Aspirin is listed, as is Bracken Ferns, Caffeic Acid (which is found in coffee ... wonder if Starbucks has their warnings up?), Cisplatin (a strong anti-cancer drug, is listed as also causing cancer :-), cocaine (do ya think pushers have their prop65 warnings?), ethanol, Leather dust, marijuana smoke, mustard gas, nickel (I must have missed the warnings on my coins :-), progesterone (I guess every woman in california has to have a warning tattooed to her ....) and testosterone (men too...).

I was really amused (?) when I once was looking at the Lie Nielsen web site and all their wood planes have a Cal Prop 65 warning that the wood planes contain substances known to cause cancer...

Comment

Many of the ubiquitous "known to California..." signs are printed on thick plastic stock. In exposed locations they could be burned in a fire (and we have lots of wildfires).

Wouldn't it be nice if someone could prove that, when burned, the signs give off cancer-causing fumes and then force the state to put "known to..." signs on their "known to..." signs?
                              Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware - Tools for People Who Build Things
                              http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Comment

Working...
                              X