No Project Posts? Is Wood Project OK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Project Posts? Is Wood Project OK

I do not always post my projects as many are commercial and do not feel it is right to post them here. Hence, most of my posted work has been of tooling and other improvements to my shop.

I know this is a metal forum, but I have been busy on a personal project that is mostly wood. But there are several metal parts, including a nice locking lever that I am proud of.

I wanted a dispenser for adhesive tape that would allow me to dispense measured lengths of tape. I could not find any such dispensers available. And the prices for the plain ones told me that if I did find one that measures, it would be astronomical in cost. So I designed and built my own from oak and aluminum. I also did a nice job of personalizing it so it is a very unique piece. Here it is:

Here it is loaded with two rolls of tape. Each roll turns independently.

And now with one wide roll:

This shot shows the parts:

And here is how the tape mounts on the spindle:

The little bat handle locking knob was an entire project in itself. I could have used any of dozens of commercially available knobs, but I did not know of any that would look right with a nice, stained oak item. I mean, really! I wanted a softer, more traditional look. I spotted some faucet handles in the hardware store and instantly saw a single, bat style handle. The threads are from a standard steel nut that was filed for a semi press fit and then installed with pressure and epoxy. All the work on it was done by hand with files, sandpaper, and a drill to slightly enlarge the hole for the nut. The stud it is on is a hanger bolt. The different pitch of the wood and machine threads on it allowed me to adjust the position of the lever when it is tightened.

I also have a machine gloat which I will post separately.
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

PS: You see my wife's initials on the side that shows in these photos. I also put my initials on the other side.
    Paul A.

Make it fit.

Comment

Excellent job! I was into wood before metal and to this day enjoy working with wood. You did a very fine job on this piece!
      Andy

Comment

Very nice!

And I know someone is going to ask, so it may as well be me... What do you do with measured lengths of adhesive tape?
        "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

Yes, very nice job!

Comment

Originally posted by mickeyf View Post
            What do you do with measured lengths of adhesive tape?
            Use them as a tape measure?

Comment

My immediate need was for using tape to package electronic components for a kit. Since I will be doing a lot of them, I want to cut enough, but not too much which would be wasteful. I have a wood and plastic frame with templates that show the parts and need specific lengths of tape for it.

I also have wished for a tape dispenser that measured the tape several times before, for various tasks.

Originally posted by mickeyf View Post
              Very nice!

And I know someone is going to ask, so it may as well be me... What do you do with measured lengths of adhesive tape?
              Paul A.

Make it fit.

Comment

Working...
              X