• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steam power?

You've seen pics of my Muley sawmill a while back, so you
    know what I'm talking about.

The thing was a great success at the 2 shows in Florida, and I'm looking
    forward to exhibiting it at this Summer's getotgethers. Although I've tried
    it with both the Star and Vaughn engines, they seem to be a bit underpowered
    for the job, so the Olds will remain the prime mover.

However:

I've been thinking about building a steam engine, something of the "Mill
    Engine" variety, with a mind to operating the sawmill with it. It would have
    to be along the lines of at least 1 1/2" bore X 2" stroke or perhaps a bit
    larger, maybe 2" X 3". A working governor would be required, and I'm
    noticing that such a device isn't a given on all models. Was just at the
    N.A.M.E.S. show this past w/e and most steam engines did NOT have one.

In addition, if I'm to build a steam engine, it must operate on live steam,
    compressed air isn't going to cut it. I'm not too worried that I can't build
    a suitable boiler, but it will obviously add a bunch to the complexity.

Thoughts?

PM Research has the model 4 and model 6 kits, 1 1/2" bore 2 1/2" stroke both rated about 1/4 horse. One is vertical, t'uther horizontal. Cast iron and bronze castings, fittings, all need machined. These may have the power to run your mill.
    I'm here hoping to advancify my smartitude.

Comment

Jim, you might check with Tiny Power. This link is to their 110 engine which is a twin derived from their 109 engine which is not shown. The 109 is a single cylinder, 1-1/2" X 2-1/4". Their Ajax engine is a beauty, and should be ample for the saw mill as well.

http://www.tinypower.com/store.php?c...on=show_detail

There is a difference between the power produced by a model steam engine versus a model IC engine in that steam power is produced in the boiler, not the cylinder and not subject to the same scaling factor that IC is.
      Jim H.

Comment

I've looked at both those sites, and like the model engines.

Here's a video of a model, with an attached boiler: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FXeYKvQQ6o

At the moment, I'm unsure of how much power I actually need. Perhaps the next thing I should do is build a torque arm for the pulley on the Olds so I can calculate the power. I did that for the Vaughn, and it figured out only 1/20 Hp. Of course, that actually is [just] enough to run the sawmill, and the 1/8 Hp electric motor runs it in fine shape, even at a very low RPM.

I know that it's possible to calculate the Hp of a steam engine, so I should be able to determine the required size.

Comment

A quick and dirty calculation of the Ajax engine at 130 PSI and 250 RPM yields approximately 1/3HP, which sounds reasonable compared to the information on the Tiny Power 110 engine.
          Jim H.

Comment

Working...
          X