The Mechatronist comes thru again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Mechatronist comes thru again

Weston Bye has an interesting article in the latest "Digital Machinist" magazine on building a multi-pole generator. It brings back memories of the old Ford Model T alternator system. The Ford had fixed coils and moving magnets mounted on the flywheel. Good work Weston. The old becomes new again.

JRW

Thanks for the compliment J.R.

I was really only lukewarm on the project when I did it, doing it only as a test bed to discover or improve on the stator coil winding method. I was not aware of the Model T history when I designed the generator, but followed some of the design elements seen in current day pancake wind generators. I don't think that there is anything particularly revolutionary or groundbreaking about the design, except that I have presented it in enough detail that it is easily understood and reproduced, and the design can be scaled to suit the application.

I displayed the prototype at NAMES this year and was astonished at the intrest in the device. George can attest that the presence of the generator at NAMES sold a LOT of magazines and subscriptions.

It apparently is an excellent match for driving with a sterling or small IC or steam engine, or wind or bicycle, or ...
    Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
    ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

Wes,
      Yours are about the only articles in D.M. that are of interest to me. Enough so that I'll probably renew my subscription that I took out last year, just for your clock project. Might not ever get around to actually BUILDING the thing, but I have very much enjoyed reading about it.

The clock project is slowly working its way to the top of the pile, I want it bad enough to invest the effort. Plus, I've already bought the electronic parts.

Please keep up the good work!!

Maybe George could consider a "Shop Wisdom of Weston Bye" book? Put all your D.M. projects into it.

Comment

Working...
      X