Installing a Mitutoyo Quill DRO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing a Mitutoyo Quill DRO

I'm installing a new Mitutoyo Quill DRO on my Bridgeport.

The stock mounting hardware makes use of the same holes used for mounting the 5" quill scale, the lower one of which requires a screw so short that it only provides about one or two threads of engagement. Any longer, and the screw will contact and bind the Feed Trip Plunger.

Is there any reason the Feed Trip Plunger couldn't be "slotted" a little bit to clear the screw, in order to get a few more threads of engagement?

This of course would prevent the Feed Trip Plunger from spinning in it's bore, but I don't think it really needs to.

Any thoughts?

Are you going to get more thread engagement?
    I've had a couple of Bridgeports, with the MTI quill DRO, and didn't have any problems with the screws.
    Harry

Comment

The Mitutoyo readout has been on my B'Port since about 1997 and the screw(s) haven't stripped or fallen out.

IIRC, I had to actually mill the slots longer or turn holes into slots, not sure which, to get the thing adjusted w/o any binding. One thing you don't want to do is get crap on the scale, as it'll cause stickiness which will lead to the scale shifting in the brackets.

I can't imagine running my B'Port w/o it.

Comment

Originally posted by beckley23 View Post
        Are you going to get more thread engagement?
        I've had a couple of Bridgeports, with the MTI quill DRO, and didn't have any problems with the screws.
        Harry
        Hi Harry

Yes, it would provide a little more thread engagement as the screw fully protruded into the bore.

Did you make use of the 5" scale mounting screws when mounting your MIT quill DRO?

I'm thinking the Feed Trip Plunger might be able to be turned down a little as well, at the screw.

Comment

Originally posted by jdunmyer View Post
          The Mitutoyo readout has been on my B'Port since about 1997 and the screw(s) haven't stripped or fallen out.

IIRC, I had to actually mill the slots longer or turn holes into slots, not sure which, to get the thing adjusted w/o any binding. One thing you don't want to do is get crap on the scale, as it'll cause stickiness which will lead to the scale shifting in the brackets.

I can't imagine running my B'Port w/o it.
          The current Mitutoyo mounting hardware screws to the head where the 5" scale originally screwed on. The bottom screw is very very short, with almost no thread engagement. I'm surprised it would hold up the DRO and mounting hardware since 1997 without issue.

Maybe your mounting method was different back then.

Comment

IIRC, it's been about about 15 years since I mounted the last one, and I no longer have the mills, but socket head cap screws come to mind, I even think they were included in the kit. I wouldn't modify the trip rod; if the screw wants to backout, which I never experienced, I suggest a bit of Loctite.
            These quill DRO's are very useful. Wish I could figure out how to mount one on my Gorton 2-30 mill, it would have saved me a lot of trouble getting a busted tap out of 316 SS, blind hole and I hit bottom just as as I switched to reverse.
            Harry

Comment

When I mounted my Mititoyo quill readout on my BP J head, I thought the
              hardware kit was kinda cheesy, so I made my own brackets. I did not like
              how it mounted directly slap in front of the depth stop adjustment rod, so
              made my brackets so it mounts off to the right an inch or so. Makes getting
              to the adj nuts way easier. I also bought a Quick Adj Nut with the little button
              for the depth adj rod also. Much nicer to use it than endlessly spinning the
              2 nuts for ever, in close proximity to the dro scale. I have pics, but not on
              this computer. Maybe I'll post some later.

--Doozer
              DZER

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
                When I mounted my Mititoyo quill readout on my BP J head, I thought the
                hardware kit was kinda cheesy, so I made my own brackets. I did not like
                how it mounted directly slap in front of the depth stop adjustment rod, so
                made my brackets so it mounts off to the right an inch or so.
                --Doozer
                I'm thinking I'll do the same.

Comment

The current Mitutoyo mounting hardware screws to the head where the 5" scale originally screwed on. The bottom screw is very very short, with almost no thread engagement. I'm surprised it would hold up the DRO and mounting hardware since 1997 without issue.
                  It appears as though I have a thin (about 1/16") piece of sheetmetal screwed to the mill, then a solid block about 3/4 X 1 X 6" fastened to that. IIRC, the thin piece is fastened to the mill with 2, 6-32 flathead screws that are quite short. This conglomeration does replace the 5" scale. I remember doing some fiddling to get it working w/o binding.

Comment

Working...
                  X