Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My little sander burnt out, do these motors have fuses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My little sander burnt out, do these motors have fuses?

It started smoking, was wondering if it is fixable; I know the windings are covered in wax, so it may be hard or impossible to do. If the short was due to this melting in the inside of the coil, I won't be able to reach it. I'm hoping it is protected by a fuse.

Last edited by Elninio; 04-24-2013, 06:56 PM.

Hi,

The couple of these I have owned over the years weren't fused. But they were HF brand too. When they quit working they were done. Fortunately they are cheap enough to replace.

dalee
    If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

Doubt if it is fused, the motor is probably toast.

No problem, just adapt another motor to it, lots of used 1/4 Hp motors around. (Have to modify the shaft size etc, but it will stil be operational then.)

Comment

I bought an HF version of one of those. I scavenged the motor for another project, taking it apart to modify it to make it reversible. I never saw any sort of protective device during disassembly in my unit.

Comment

Chinese motors. Bin fillers. Find an old washing machine motor and adapt it. Probably last forever, even with the bushings instead of ball bearings.

If it smoked, it probably was made with poor wire which was never lacquered, and was wound to produce more power from less iron, which is a way of saying a 1/5 horse motor is a 1/3 or 1/2 horse. They normally get hot in short order and will die an early death.
          I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Originally posted by darryl View Post
            Chinese motors. Bin fillers. Find an old washing machine motor and adapt it. Probably last forever, even with the bushings instead of ball bearings.

If it smoked, it probably was made with poor wire which was never lacquered, and was wound to produce more power from less iron, which is a way of saying a 1/5 horse motor is a 1/3 or 1/2 horse. They normally get hot in short order and will die an early death.
            Damnit, it looked like a nice motor too. Payed 40$. $40$here, 40$ there, next thing you do the Chinese have my 1000's of dollars, and i'm left with nothing but bull****!

Comment

How long it had been running? Because what I've noticed is that the cheapeast stuff has motors with S2 xx rating, where xx is the time in minutes it is allowed to be on. A little better ones have S1 motors for continuous use.
              Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

I have the Delta version of that unit...... with sanding disc also.

Motor supplies the lower shaft and bearing........ you need same size, special motor, sort of.. Try Bizzie bee but you won't like the price, I bet. You can probably buy another cheaper..... which is stupid but true.

Keep eye on ball.
                Hashim Khan

Comment

Ours have the fuse in the plug. Law here.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

One of the tricks we didn't send on the Mayflower - fused plugs. However until the fifties we relied on the fuse in the fusebox to blow before the great MK revolution.

Regards Ian.
                    You might not like what I say,but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by JS
                      BS1363 plugs .... BS1362 Fuses as I'm sure you know are only there to protect the Cable , not the device.

Even if you select as fuse to suit the load , they are a very slow blow rated curve....

For a well designed device, an F type or T type is often used internally as both are significantly faster.

If you have a 600w drill (etc) and you select a 3A fuse , you will still be able to burn out that drill without the fuse going open circuit.

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Elninio View Post
                        I'm hoping it is protected by a fuse.
                        I have an identical Clarke CS25c... a 190w model .. and there are no fuses

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson View Post
                          We decided the fuse would be as well in the unit as in the plug.... so that's where it (or the equivalent) is. To pass UL standards, it must not create a hazard by catching fire, overheating, creating a shock hazard, etc, under any possible failure conditions.

UL used to be even tougher, but more recently have had to adopt standards "harmonized" with the generally considerably weaker european standards.

For CE or UL, it is possible to simply *buy* reports indicating a pass, in china, whether or not you DO pass. So neither UL nor CE have much force in reality.
                          Last edited by J Tiers; 04-25-2013, 08:01 AM.

Keep eye on ball.
                          Hashim Khan

Comment

J Tiers, to label something with CE doesn't mean that it has passed anything, as it is not a guarantee of testing. It is just to let know that the manufacturer assures that it fulfills all requirements for said device.

Have stamped those letters to many devices, just needs some paper work done and kept safe in case someone asks why I designed something the way I did or how something was calculated.
                            Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

The CE label on anything Chinese actually means "China Export", it's meant to look like the European CE mark, but isn't...
                              As has been said, cheaper to replace the.sander than bother fixing it.

Dave H. (the other one)
                              Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men.

Holbrook Model C Number 13 lathe, Testa 2U universal mill, bikes and tools

Comment

Working...
                              X