dumb little project, still satisfying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dumb little project, still satisfying

Some time ago, scrounging aluminum, I picked up an old clam tube. They use these digging for razor clams on the Washington coast. It's entirely made of rust-free aluminum. Basically, it's a 4" tube of about .057" wall, open at the bottom, closed at the top except for a thumb hole where your right thumb can plug the hole to lift out a column of sand, water and (hopefully) clams and dump them on the beach. And a handle welded on top. In the first picture you see the open end, and in the second you see the top. Notice the thumb hole.

I never did wind up selling the clam tube for scrap. Instead, I cut out a (rough) circle of 1/8" steel and plug welded it to a 3/8" steel rod, such that when the rod passes through the thumb hole the circle can be centered on the tube. I scrounged a couple of really strong disc drive magnets from my buddy lakeside53, and screwed them securely to the steel disc. You can see the rod/disc/magnet assembly in a picture above. Here's a closer view:

I found a piece of scrap aluminum sheet, sheared it roughly 4" round, and sanded it roughly to a line, forming a circular blank:

TO BE CONTINUED DUE TO PIC LIMIT POLICY - WHY? - WHY? - WHY?

Metal: You have WAY too much time on your hands!!! When I am able to get out to my cabin here in Nootka Sound, we spend the first four hours making sure all is now ready for summer; relax, have a beer, almost fall asleep in the noon day sun, go out to pull the prawn traps, package up the ones we caught. Then it`s time for supper , a good, bunch of baloney and sleep at about 9:30 or 10. Wayne. Of course, tomorrow we have to repeat::::

Comment

Working...
    X