dumb little project CONTINUED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dumb little project CONTINUED

Then I put the steel rod through the thumb hole, slid the magnet-holding disc up inside the tube, and welded the blank over the open end:

Then I welded a little piece of tube crossways over the rod end for a handle:

Now I have a solidly-made magnetic pickup that works very well and should last just about forever. I know that I can buy the functional equivalent in plastic and stink from Harbor Freight for under a sawbuck, but dang it, I like mine better!

metalmagpie

Good thinking magpie, for future reference, you don't have to start a new thread, just reply to your own post with 4 more pictures. Repeat until you are done.
    James

Comment

You can also just join the pictures together vertically and they will be seen as "one".

Comment

What exactly do you do with your "thing"? It looks to me that the magnet sits on the bottom. Do you pick up steel bits and pieces at the welded on end and to release pull the handle up?
        How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Hm- I've not had a problem knowing what to do with my thing

Somebody would have said it-

Great idea magpie- I need a magnetic pickup device like that.
          I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

I use a welding ground magnet on my 4 legged cane & it's amazing what I find. Handmade nails, etc. Works well.
            "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
            world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
            country, in easy stages."
            ~ James Madison

Comment

You can't believe how strong those 5.25 inch hard drive magnets are (from some "obsolete" 50G IBM server drive arrays). The type I gave MM are so strong they are almost imposssible to separate by hand. And they are realy good at slamming together and cutting the ends of fingers

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
                What exactly do you do with your "thing"? It looks to me that the magnet sits on the bottom. Do you pick up steel bits and pieces at the welded on end and to release pull the handle up?

No no no... it's for digging up magnetic clams! Being downstream of Hanford, they abound on the WA coast
                Last edited by lakeside53; 04-26-2013, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by J. Randall View Post
                  Good thinking magpie, for future reference, you don't have to start a new thread, just reply to your own post with 4 more pictures. Repeat until you are done.
                  James
                  Well, duh. But why the 4-img rule anyway? Is someone spamming the board with lots of pictures? - MM

Comment

Working...
                  X