Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• removing hardened teeth

how do i remove hardened teeth from a splined shaft

grind, grind and grind some more. . . how and what you use depends how large the splines and how fussy the finished product expects to be. . . .

Comment

Yup, pretty much have to grind them off. Like mentioned depending on the finish you need you can do it with an angle grinder or a tool post grinder in a lathe.
      Andy

Comment

You didn't say how long the shaft is. If it is short, you can anneal it and just turn the spline off. I have annealed by heating to bright red hot with my oxy-acetylene torch and burying overnight in a bucket of fireplace ash. I have also annealed steel by tossing it into my burn barrel with firewood and just letting it go, retrieving my part when all is cold.

Comment

could i grind off the teeth to a few thousands of the shaft then use a carbide cutter to smooth out the grinding marks ?

Comment

That might work although you will have alternating hard and soft spots. Grinding would give a rounder and smoother finish.

Comment

turn it off with cbn, if you can get the right speed for the interupted cut. (i have come accross one sided inserts for as low as $15.)

Comment

I've peeled axle splines off with a negative rake DNMG insert in Kennametal's KC950 grade carbide.Ran them at around 200sfpm and .005"per rev feedrate.
                I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

what i did was grind down to within a few thousands then used a carbide insert and finished to size worked pretty good..............thanks to all who contribued

Comment

Working...
                  X