What to do with a tiny XY table?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do with a tiny XY table?

It is not really an XY table, it is a Sherline mini lathe without headstock or motor..

Sherline bed by MrJohnHill, on Flickr

.... I got it because I need the tail stock for another Sherline I have with a damaged tailstock.

So what to do with the bed and cross slide?

P.S. These are the original, genuine, made in Australia brass Sherline lathes.

I put one on the table of one of my radial arm saws and use it for a grinder - or what I called my poor-man's surface grinder. The finish is actually quite nice, and very long grinds are possible.

Comment

Buy a sherline head and put it on?

Comment

Originally posted by macona View Post
        Buy a sherline head and put it on?
        I did think of making a head which must be just about the easiest part to make for a lathe.

Comment

Originally posted by dp View Post
          I put one on the table of one of my radial arm saws and use it for a grinder - or what I called my poor-man's surface grinder. The finish is actually quite nice, and very long grinds are possible.
          I hadn't thought of that, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by The Artful Bodger View Post
            So what to do with the bed and cross slide?

P.S. These are the original, genuine, made in Australia brass Sherline lathes.
            Maybe a universal cutter/grinder to sharpen drills/endmills?

Comment

Originally posted by taydin View Post
              Maybe a universal cutter/grinder to sharpen drills/endmills?
              That's intriguing, I wonder what else is required?

Comment

Originally posted by The Artful Bodger
                That's intriguing, I wonder what else is required?
                Apart from the grinder, which you could mount behind the bed on some kind of elevating/swiveling column, you'd need fixtures to angle the tools, maybe an air bearing spindle for sharpening reamers and endmill flutes... Cut could be put on with the cross-feed, traverse with carriage-feed, could work really well! I can't see why it wouldn't work as a surface grinder too, although small and rather less accurate than a commercial one... Traverse speed might be a problem for surface grinding, but the carriage feed could be motorised/automated....

With a double-ended grinder you could have alumina and diamond wheels mounted for HSS and carbide but might need to be able to flip the grinder around - easy if it's made to swivel on the column.

Take a look at Quorn, Stent and Bonelle TCGs on the fora, lots of ideas there, and a few commercial TC and surface grinders for inspiration!

Remember though, it'd throw a lot of very abrasive dust around, not good for other machines, so you might want it outside your main work area....

Dave H. ( the other one)
                Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men.

Holbrook Model C Number 13 lathe, Testa 2U universal mill, bikes and tools

Comment

You could make a nice milling attachment for a bigger lathe out of it.

Comment

Further to the T&C grinder theme, there was an article in MEW (July 2006) that was titled "Sharpening with diamond discs". The author used the bed and carriage of a Unimat 3. I tried out the concept and, surprisingly, it worked quite well. Ended up making a T&C grinder from a Goniometer and a Foredom grinder.

Let me know if you are unable to access it.

Geoff
                    Last edited by ammcoman2; 04-28-2013, 10:25 AM.

Comment

YOU SUCK!

To be honest, as much as I want it to, I don't think it suits for a tool and cutter grinder - grinding dust and swarf will tear (lap?) that brass bed to oblivion in short order.

Do you have a need for a gear hobbing machine? Or a pinion mill? This guy used a Taig bed and headstock, and some CNC wizardry to make a wheel cutting machine.

Sometimes I wonder where you guys seem to find all this useable 'junk'!

Comment

Working...
                      X