OT:Oh crap,that doesn't look good!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT:Oh crap,that doesn't look good!

Crash at Bagram airfield caught on tape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icfVsql38oc

Wonder what the cause was?
    I just need one more tool,just one!

I had watched the video earlier and had always heard of planes falling out of the sky, but this video truly shows that. Sad for the victims. Hope they can determine the cause to prevent future accidents like this one.
    Cheers,
    Gary

Comment

Where do people get these dashcams from? I would love to have a nice dashcam.
      Andy

Comment

How terrible - and what poor taste having that comic guy laughing.

It's a classic stall - look at the angle of the plane when it's far away - it's looks like it's flying overhead because you see full belly pan...

then it searches to one side - and then dive bombs the other, it totally stalled due to not enough speed and a radical angle of attack...

Comment

That's what I was thinking,a stall.God that feeling has to suck,at least it was quick
          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Classic departure stall. He's supposed to fly the centerline of the runway, looks like he drifted right tried to correct & didn't have enough lift at such a high angle of attact. You feel the stall aproaching & have to push the yoke forward to gain airspeed and/or lift but it's human nature (which has to be broken) to pull back on the yoke, plane breaks right or left & enters a spin if theres enough altitude. Very sad indeed. The US doesn't require spin training for a private pilot which is nuts.
            "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
            world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
            country, in easy stages."
            ~ James Madison

Comment

Yes departure stall is better stated,,,
              the second that plane comes into view is very close to the point of no return even if immediate action was taken, it's fate is almost or most likely sealed, it's at a radical angle and you can tell there's hardly any speed.

Nose down and full power at that point and it might have had just enough altitude to recover, but a pig like that takes time to respond, and in some cases won't respond at all due to lack of flow across the controls, what a shame indeed... it's not fun to watch things like that knowing all the people lost their lives...
              Last edited by A.K. Boomer; 05-01-2013, 12:53 AM.

Comment

Heavy aircraft are vulnerable to missile attacks at low altitude and in places like Bagram the pilots no doubt try to vary their depature route as far as practical, maybe a bit too far in this case.

Just about every aircraft leaving Baghdad airport when I was there in May/June 2003 did a departure somewhat like that.

However comments on other sites (including PPrunes) say there are not 'tactical departures' and there are also comments that problems were reported by the crew prior to the aircraft pitching up, also four heavy vehicles on board so load shift on rotation is a possibility.
                Last edited by The Artful Bodger; 05-01-2013, 12:42 AM.

Comment

In that case the w/b may have too far aft which would explain alot.
                  Last edited by flylo; 05-01-2013, 01:15 AM.
                  "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
                  world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
                  country, in easy stages."
                  ~ James Madison

Comment

All the airplanes I've ever flown go nose down right damn now in a stall, but they don't have 4 massive low-slung jet engines. If too tail-heavy they porpoise into the ground and you don't ever want to explore that part of the flight envelope. The falling leaf plummet and nearly no horizontal speed are certainly indicative of a stall, though. I expected it to lawn dart before it hit the world and that didn't happen. I think Flylo has it - tail-heavy and not enough airspeed for the tail plane to control pitch. It came down like an umbrella.

Comment

It's obvious to the naked eye what happened - but like you guys are thinking the reasoning for it happening is what all the investigating will be about - everything from the pilot taking too much of a bite to the CG and yes aft is the worst...

could be a plethora of things in combo, like the CG and the pilot and perhaps a strong head gust whilst the plane is at a steep low speed climb angle which would make it immediately gain altitude at the cost of precious speed, then the head wind leaves and the craft drops from the sky like a rock...

Comment

Originally posted by vpt View Post
                        Where do people get these dashcams from? I would love to have a nice dashcam.
                        Google is your friend. There are plenty of dashcams on Amazon too. The problem is keeping it from being stolen.

That was a terrible accident. It was sad to see it stall that way. I can't imagine a situation where the pilot (it was a commercial flight) would not have brought the nose down rather than come down in what looked like the start of a spin. It reminded me of a similar video of a UPS plane where the cargo shifted during takeoff, causing a high angle of attack and subsequent low altitude stall. I don't recall that one bursting into flame.

Dan
                        At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

My bet is a big cargo shift. Looks like he got the wings level not enough altitude to do anything.

Comment

A friend took me flying in a Cessna 150 about 25 years ago shortly after he hot his private pilots license. He was practicing touch and go's and told me that the plane could lift off at X knots. At X knots he pulled up and the plane started to lift off. He then steered a little to the side and I thought we were going down. My brother in law, who was also a pilot, told me I was very close to dying. That was the last time I flew with that guy.

Brian
                            OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

They stopped spin training in the US when the Grumman Yankee and Traveler came out. They have a laminar flow airfoil and if you get it in a spin it may go flat spin and is often unrecoverable. A few trainees bit the dust that way so they stopped spinning. Stupid, just read the placard.

Second time up my instructor had us at about 2000 feet and then had me cross control the Fleet Canuck while holding altitude and closing the throttle. Suddenly it snap rolled inverted and headed straight down. I used to practice spins in my Cessna 140 just for fun.
                              Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Working...
                              X