305mm rotors, hub, and caliber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 305mm rotors, hub, and caliber

I m working on a new brake setup for a friend. The parts come three different models but the payoff is a set of brakes that will stop a freight train. It had to have 1mm off the hub and 1mm off the caliper.(done)

So my problem is how to attach the hub to caliper. The bolt is the question here. Once all this is back on the car, we will not be able to get to the head of the bolt. To add to this the head will have to be cut down in height. I plan on a press fit for the hub, and hone the caliber holes for a snug fit.

One thought is to weld on to a grade 8 bolt head to make a anti rotation lug? Can I mig weld onto a Grade 8 bolt without losing its strength?

Should I drill and add a set screw to hold the bolt from the side? The lugs are thin.
    Should I braze the bolt in place?
    The last thought is to “tack” weld the head? The hub is cast?
    The bolt planned is 12mm 8.8 ( Im very new to metric grades)

If there is a better way … I am open to thoughts.
    Last edited by outlawspeeder; 05-03-2013, 10:47 AM. Reason: Because my$%# phone can't speel [spell]

Caliber?

Got a cold?
    Paul Compton
    www.morini-mania.co.uk
    http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru

Comment

What caliber is the caliper?

Rex

EDIT: EVguru is too fast for me, or, I spent too much time reading and re-reading the OP trying to figure out What The F!
      Last edited by rode2rouen; 05-03-2013, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Very interested in this thread because I have no idea what to OP is talking about. Will wait for someone to translate for me.

Nev.
        Nev.

Comment

Pretty pictures, but I am not getting much from them. Rotors need to mount to hub and be able to rotate on most disc brake systems. Calipers should mount back to a casting that the spindle comes off of, or an axle passes through. Calipers need to be able to float on their mounting bolts. Need to clarify what you are trying to do.
          James
          Last edited by J. Randall; 05-03-2013, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by J. Randall View Post
            Calipers need to be able to float on their mounting bolts.
            James
            He is using a 4 piston caliper, 2 pistons on each side. These calipers will be mounted solid, they don't float. Calipers float when they have the pistons only on one side.

Other than that, I am not sure what he is trying to do either but it sounds like there are problems getting the caliper bolted up. I would like to see some pics of the parts on the car you are working with.

Comment

I'm happy to hear that I am not the only one trying to understand what he is trying to accomplish. I will add, however, that if you don't know fully what you are doing when modifying and adapting brakes to an automobile, you had best not attempt it.

Machining caliper bodies and cludging up attachment hardware is not something to be taken lightly. Yes, welding a Grade 8 bolt can destroy its integrity. If this car is to be street driven and is involved in an accident and it is learned the brakes have been extensively modified by the owner and/or others, some serious damage suits could be enacted if not criminal proceedings.
              Jim H.

Comment

So it looks like the caliper sits on the back side of the spindle (not hub) from the rotor, so you can't slide the caliper with (mounting bolts in it) onto the caliper mounts at the same time you slide the rotor onto the spindle. You also probably don't have much room to fit a nut between the spindle ears and the rotor, and that is a real fiddly installation and not too secure with no good way to positively retain the nuts. When I had a similar issue putting front brakes on pavement sprint cars, I installed threaded inserts (Helicoils or Keenserts) into the spindle brake mount bosses, and used AN bolts with precison shanks of the appropriate length from the back side. I then safety wired the the bolts.
                Davis

"Nothing is impossible for the man who doesn't have to do it himself"

Comment

Originally posted by oxford View Post
                  He is using a 4 piston caliper, 2 pistons on each side. These calipers will be mounted solid, they don't float. Calipers float when they have the pistons only on one side.

Other than that, I am not sure what he is trying to do either but it sounds like there are problems getting the caliper bolted up. I would like to see some pics of the parts on the car you are working with.
                  Good catch Ox, didn't think that part through.
                  James

Comment

Originally posted by oxford View Post

I have this type of caliper on my 4WD vehicle. Not modified at all, come from factory like that. Sounds like he is using a similar caliper, maybe from a Tundra or something like it, to do an upgrade on another vehicle. Would help if we had some idea what the parts are from and what they are going on to.

Nev.
                    Nev.

Comment

Calipers are usually attached in one of three ways;

Bolts into threaded caliper bosses.

Bolts into threaded suspension upright (spindle) bosses.

Bolts through plain holes in both with a nut on the end (rare).

In this case I'd helicoil the holes in the upright.
                      Paul Compton
                      www.morini-mania.co.uk
                      http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru

Comment

I hate to say it, but I don't think anyone really understands what the OP is doing.....unfortunately including the OP.

Welding on a grade 8 bolt is a bad idea. Reducing the head thickness is probably an even worse idea. Reducing the thickness of the mounting lugs of the caliper sounds iffy, too.

I think he's mixing part names, and calling the spindle/knuckle the hub. The caliper is mounted to the spindle (front) or axle housing (rear). The hub is a rotating part that the brake rotor is mounted to.

I'd like to see what the setup looks like on the vehicle so we'd have a better idea about what he's doing.
                        Last edited by winchman; 05-04-2013, 05:03 AM.
                        Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

Could you square the mounting holes and use an oversized domed head coach bolt..

(assuming you could get them in a suitable grade and that removing material wouldnt weaken the casting.)

Comment

think you need one side or the other tapped so the bolt oes in fom the outide and doesnt interfere with rotating parts

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post
                              I have this type of caliper on my 4WD vehicle. Not modified at all, come from factory like that. Sounds like he is using a similar caliper, maybe from a Tundra or something like it, to do an upgrade on another vehicle. Would help if we had some idea what the parts are from and what they are going on to.

Nev.
                              Toyota was popular for using these types of calipers on there 4x4's. I forget what years you have to use but, the Toyota 4x4 pickup calipers was a poor mans big brake upgrade for the Datsun 280z's using them and early 300zx rotors. I am pretty sure that setup was all bolt on though.

Comment

Working...
                              X