X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [ot] Fire...

http://www.13wham.com/news/local/sto...YdbXGRU9A.cspx

Years ago I lived in this building above Main Street. 2000-2002. It's a grand old building that was part of History.... and now thanks to the action of the slum-lord that owns it, it's gone.

I cannot rightly comprehend how someone can own a historical building, carve it up into dank and dismal apartments and rent them out to the lowest bidder. Yes I was one of those folks... but you're making $300 a month off of us times 18 people plus the rent from the businesses... show some goddamn pride.

I moved out rather forcefully after a fire next door resulted in damage to my apartment. FD managed to save the day back then. This time thanks to the slumlord's shoddy repair work the whole upper story seems to have gone up in flames.

Getting word now that people are injured including a firefighter. I hope now that half of Main Street has burned down they turn an eye twords his other slum-hole operations around town... before someone gets hurt.

Sorry for the OT rant but I figure you folks will understand better than others I've shared this with.

Damn that looks like a huge place to boot, hope nobody is seriously hurt.

Comment

And why would we? Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Fisher View Post
        And why would we? Bob.
        Appreciation for "old things" and things of historical value... and a lothing/hatred for shoddy workmanship and laxity in safety.

'course I could be wrong...

Comment

I understand very well. I used to own a building like that as a beginning slumlord back in the early 70's. Built in 1887

You also have to consider the costs of maintenance and upkeep. Also if you notice the cause of the fire was undetermined.

I had 2 fires while I owned mine, both caused by careless tenants, but then as you pointed out you can't expect much from a $300/mo tenant.
          Guaranteed not to rust, bust, collect dust, bend, chip, crack or peel

Comment

Originally posted by KIMFAB View Post
            I understand very well. I used to own a building like that as a beginning slumlord back in the early 70's. Built in 1887

You also have to consider the costs of maintenance and upkeep. Also if you notice the cause of the fire was undetermined.

I had 2 fires while I owned mine, both caused by careless tenants, but then as you pointed out you can't expect much from a $300/mo tenant.
            Actually he's well known for living in a palatial estate in Farmington with more toys and gee-wiz than the average fellow has access to... All his properties are "tax exempt" because they are listed as historical one way or another... he is WELL known for never returning a security deposit, and he uses only the finest day-labors and cheapest salvage materials to maintain those properties.

It came to a head a few years ago -- a new mayor took over and tried to clean up the mess but was voted out before she could reform/realign the inspector offices and code-enforcement office. It's not that the property owner has certain people in his back pocket -- that's just part of it. The major problem is the huge amount of apathy and momentum in that village.

From the pictures I'm looking at the roof is destroyed on four buildings, one building is a wreck due to water damage and the rest... they are still sorting through. Notice the line in the article stating the lack of firewalls? The inside of the 234 block (where I lived) must be gutted entirely.

The fire happened today at 2PM, burned for several hours... they won't have a cause for a few days. It'll be electrical, cooking accident, or smoking.

Makes me sick to my stomach. I know what was in there and how lucky those people are to have escaped with their lives. Credit goes to the FD folks for containing things as well as they did.

Maybe NOW someone will do something, now that there is a huge charred hole on the main drag across from the tourist attractions.

Rant over. Thanks for listening.

Comment

One thing strikes me- I see blue sky in the background. Does that happen in NY?
              I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Often! I'm in Upstate. Palmyra is south of Rochester near the Finger Lakes. I'm out in the dark heart of Buffalo, well the tattered edge really. Looking out the window I see plenty of blue sky right now.

Comment

Originally posted by WhatTheFlux! View Post

Sorry for the OT rant but I figure you folks will understand better than others I've shared this with.

Actually, I don't understand why you feel the need to "share" this, on this site, at all.
                  Seems it would be more appropriate for MyFace.

Rex

Comment

I'm with Rex, why would you choose this forum to post that bit of news? I feel your loss, but why not share it on a more appropriate site? Not trying to be a hardass but I visit this site for a reason. Bob.

Comment

I was in a fire when I was about 9 years old. I was terrified at the time, but obverse to logic I consider it a good thing now. The experience taught me to be EXTREMELY careful with regard to anything that constitutes a fire hazard for the rest of my life. I have known three people over the course of my life who sluffed on fire safety by doing things which could have been easily avoided - things I NEVER would have done - and caused each to experience a major fire at their homes. In all cases there were no injuries but in each case they lost at least half their home to the fire.

Instance one: Dumped fireplace ashes beside the house which were not encased in a metal container at night and in the dead of winter and woke up to smoke and the back side of his house on fire. Major and extensive damage.

Instance two: Found a dust buster in someone else's trash which had a rechargeable battery with short in it. (If someone throws something away that looks good there is also, usually, a good reason for it.) This person was a pack rat and it wasn't the first or last time he had big trouble by trying to get something for nothing. Lost a BEAUTIFUL house - total loss.

Instance three: Dumped an ash tray with a smoldering cigarette in the kitchen waste basket and went off to work. Lost 1/2 his house before a neighbor noticed the smoke and called the fire department.

Comment

Come on - there are plenty of Off Topic discussions - there's no need to jump down this guys throat just because he wants to get something off his chest. And I think he's right - without taking a political stance, he feels members here should be down on someone for encouraging shoddy workmanship and a careless attitude, even if they do it to increase their profit.

Although, now I come to think of it, once we know the agreed tolerances for something we machine, we are almost duty-bound to cut as many corners as possible. Errm...
                        Richard - SW London, UK, EU.

Comment

I don't understand how you can blame the landlord when you say yourself it could be caused by a tenant?

Comment

Working...
                          X