Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 cylinder radial running

Gentlemen,
    This is the completion of an engine that I started over a 1-1/2 years ago. I had posted the complete build log on the other forum so I won't repeat it here. For those who aren't familiar with this build or for those who followed it on the other forum I have finally made some progress with getting it running.
    I had purchased a 12 inch 3 blade propeller (plastic) not knowing what the engine would do with it. In my initial running I found out that the prop didn't have nearly enough mass to allow the engine to idle or at least have some semblance of an idle so late last year I machined up a flywheel that I had with hopes that it would allow me to make adjustments especially with the carburetion. I got the flywheel fitted but it was so late in the year that I really didn't want to spend time in the cold, closed garage experimenting so it would have to wait until the weather changed in this part of the world.
    Well the nice weather is here and it was time to pull the radial out and see if all the hours of redesign were worth it.
    Although the engine is fully oiled with a pressure system I used a little of my left over premix gasoline from the snow blower to to make sure all the new parts were well oiled. The engine started almost instantly and after a few runs I had the needle and air bleed adjustments fairly close. Aside from the lower 2 cylinders still spitting oil the engine seems like it can be made to idle a little slower and and it revs quite nicely even with the heavy flywheel. I haven't fooled with the timing yet. It's running around 25 degrees advanced. It has a Hall trigger which is operating an S&S ignition unit. It's running on 86 octane pump gasoline.
    gbritnell

http://youtu.be/EyX_GbTmitQ

Outstanding George!

A masterpiece.

Comment

WOW! I love it, may I ask aprox how many hours into it?
      "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
      world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
      country, in easy stages."
      ~ James Madison

Comment

Hi Flylo,
        I had drawings for the original Morton engine that I acquired many years ago. When I decided that I wanted to build a radial I used those drawings as a starting point for mine although ultimately the only dimensions used were the bore and stroke. With the redesign time and actual building I'm guessing I have around 800 hours. As with most of my other engines a lot of the time was in making parts from bar stock that looked like castings.The changes from the Morton were: move the cam and drive gearing to the front of the engine, make the cylinders and heads separately and screw them together, adjust the connecting rod position on the master rod to allow for proper timing events, add a 2 stage oil pump, move the carburetor to the rear of the engine as opposed to the bottom of the crankcase, stand the distributor up vertically and convert it to a Hall trigger and make the pistons for 2 rings.
        gbritnell

Comment

That is a beautiful piece of work!

Comment

I'm not a modeller, but that is very very nice.

Comment

Design, build from scratch, then to actually have it run... That's quite a skill set. Not to mention the jaw-dropping beauty of it. Impressive, sir.
              I'm here hoping to advancify my smartitude.

Comment

That certainly is a beautiful piece of work, as are all your projects. You are one of the true artisans on this forum.

The small amount of oil passed by the lower cylinders add a real degree of authenticity to radial power. You haven't truly worked on a radial powered aircraft until you've been thoroughly "slimed".

Thanks for sharing!

Comment

What a work of art. Thanks for sharing it. A picture is worth a thousand words. Any chance of a video of it running?

Brian
                  OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

That's a wonderful piece of work! I remember the Morton M-5 engines. There was a Burgess Hobby Shop in downtown Chicago that sold those when I was a kid. They were incredibly expensive even then.

Keep up the good work!

Comment

That is a beautiful piece of work. And it runs! I AM impressed.

I only dreamed of making a radial in my younger days. Heck, I still wish I had the time to do it.
                      Paul A.
                      SE Texas

Make it fit.
                      You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Just..wow! The pictures don't exactly give out the scale, but doesn't matter, it is just so cool!

How eactly did you make the oil pump? I have sometimes seen a small spring loaded plunger operated with a cam, but it doesn't work well in high RPM systems.
                        Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

Jaako, have a look at the video that George linked to in his first post for a better sense of scale.

George once again you've outdone yourself. What a work of art, absolutely beautiful.
                          Heck I'd be darned proud just to say I built the engine stand!
                          Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                          Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Boy I like that, that thing's got some balls too, no better art that functioning art and that's what that little hummer is...

in agreement with what Willy just stated about the engine mount alone as I was thinking same...

Comment

Thanks again George for these pics, beautiful!!

Comment

Working...
                              X