Tool gloat: Shop Wench's new toy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tool gloat: Shop Wench's new toy

Shop Wench (who is a mechanical engineer and apprentice machinist) was out at an estate sale today. She called me and said, "Mitutoyo depth mic, new, how much?" I told her about $20.00. She called me back about 10 minutes later and said, "$12.50."

Brand-new, never opened. Seems to have shipped in 1993.

Here's what it looks like unwrapped. For the very first time. Ever. It has rods from 0"-4". It's a mechanical digital. I'm jealous!

We estimate original purchase price was about $225, new.

She said it's hers, but I can have custody when she doesn't need to use it.
    Last edited by Toolguy; 07-09-2017, 12:55 PM. Reason: fix stupid Photobucket issues
    Kansas City area

Man that sucks so much I can feel it all the way here in western KY.

Good find.

Comment

I fight off the envy in cases like this by saying "I'll never really need one of those anyway." Sometimes it even works. Sigh.
      "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

Originally posted by mickeyf View Post
        I fight off the envy in cases like this by saying "I'll never really need one of those anyway." Sometimes it even works. Sigh.
        Man, can I relate.

So, you gonna tell her the rules of a tool gloat before you tell her she sucks, or after? It may determine if you get your face slapped or not.
        Definition: Racecar - a device that turns money into noise.

Comment

Ha Ha! She would just laugh! I already have a Starrett 0-3 and a Brown & Sharpe 0-12 depth mike so it's not like I need to take hers. I'm happy that I found someone who can appreciate fine tools and their use. To me SHE is the biggest tool gloat of all! The other day she said "You need a bigger shop." I just smiled and said "Yes I do."

Edit - I forgot to put in my original post - Take that Harbor Freight! So there!
          Last edited by Toolguy; 05-13-2013, 09:40 AM.
          Kansas City area

Comment

Originally posted by Toolguy View Post
            ... To me SHE is the biggest tool gloat of all! The other day she said "You need a bigger shop." I just smiled and said "Yes I do."
            Yep, you suck. You have Shop Wench and we have SWMBO.
            Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
            ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

Working...
            X