Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone help me with their experience and offer me advice ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone help me with their experience and offer me advice ?

I bought a nice looking dehumidifier recently from an auction it is designed to operate on 240volts but it has an inbuilt transformer which means it can operate on 110 volts also it has been set permanently to 110 for safety reasons the 240 fuse has been removed this I understand is quite common on dehumidifiers here in the uk as a damp wet safety reasoning.I turned it on in my very dry woodshop and it fired up stayed on for about five minutes thermostat kicked in and it switched off for about four mintes and kept doing this on and off.I suspect nothing is wrong ,but I have never used one and as said the shop is bone dry is this normal like a little refridgerator and is nicely and professionally made.Question is this is the constrant switching on and off correct for this type of machine I just don't know. ? perhaps if I used it where it is damp it might stay on longer but then I have no idea help please required from the experienced Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Its designed to switch on/off yes, else the coils frost up and then it does not work. Also most have a humidistat that will turn them off when humidity gets low enough, because below 35% humidity is actualy very uncomfertable (some have a 'continious run' feature that turns off the humidistat, great for 'freshening' a bedroom by totaly drying it out (When nobodys using it!), or drying out carpets or spills).

A totaly 'dry' room will often have very little smell to it.
    Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

If your wood shop is already very dry, I don't quite understand why you would run a dehumidifier in there...?

They work the most effectively, and efficiently, in a room with high humidity. It is the law of diminishing returns, the drier the air, the more electricity you burn to remove a given amount of water, and eventually becomes very inefficient in terms of how much water gets removed per kilowat hour.

finest regards,

doug

Comment

Sorry I thought I explained I was just testing it out there nothing else. Alistair

Comment

If you test it in a room with higher humidity, the switching will be less frequent. Especially, in the beginning. Then it'll depend on the rated capacity of the unit.
          Mike
          WI/IL border, USA

Comment

Is it green ?

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

I have a big old Andrews dehumidifier which is also 110/240v this is selectable by moving an interlock plate turning a switch and changing the plug 110-240v.
              The Andrews normally runs for around 4-5 hrs then stops once the coils have frosted up, this is when all the collected now frozen moisture unfreezes and runs off into its catch tank.
              The running period will depend on local humidity.

Regards

Paul

Comment

It shouldn't cycle in an out that frequently unless it might be low on freon or what ever gas it uses. Most units have a preassure safety switch that will cut the compressor out if it is low on gas. That is the first thought that crosses my mind.
                I would try it in a more humid enviornment and see what happens. Also most of these dehumidifiers will not operate properly below 65 degrees, the coil will ice up and that usually shuts the compressor down for a given amount of time.

JL........................

Comment

If you check the evap. coil (cold) it should be cool below the dew point but not frosty. The full coil should show moisture, not just part of it. If after running a while frost shows up on part of the coil the unit is most likely low on refrigerant. It might be best to check it out in a living area. And has been mentioned it should run more or less continously.
                  Jim

Comment

John funnily enough it is green came that way too thanks guys I guess it is ok then will try it in my store shed it is damp there as it's made of steel same steel as His ludship has for cohoonaaaa's balls that is. Have fun Alistair

Comment

Working...
                    X