11.5 TPI threads. for hose connections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 11.5 TPI threads. for hose connections

I have a project for the house that requires some garden hose threads. My lathe will do 11 TPI, 12 TPI and with some gear swapping a .288 mm TP.
    I would like to be able to mate them up to commercially available products with out and threads binding too bad.
    These are external threads that will mate up to a typical garden hose washer.
    Any hints on how to make these 11.5 TPI threads ?

Thanks,
    Ted

What gears do you have [ list please ] and what pitch is the leadscrew ?

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by mototed View Post
      I have a project for the house that requires some garden hose threads. My lathe will do 11 TPI, 12 TPI and with some gear swapping a .288 mm TP.
      Thanks,
      Ted
      What's a .288mm TP ? .288mm equals .0113inches.

Comment

I have a 6 tpi leadscrew and 30,42.54,60,90, and 127 change gears.
        [IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Garden hose threads don't mate up very deeply, Maybe if you do 11 or 12TPI with shallow threads it will work over 1/4" or so just fine? Its the washer that does the sealing.

Alternatively, get some pipe tapes/dies, and buy the very commericaly available NPT to garden hose adapators (Come in all sizes)
          Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

I just last week made two 5/8" male hose connectors and used 11 TPI. They worked fine. I checked the thread on the store-bought connector, and thought that it WAS 11 TPI, but maybe I was wrong. Anyway, they worked. My original complaint was that I could not get a screw-clamp to make a leak-proof joint. I discovered that the commercial fitting was a "drop fit" in the hose. I made mine a push-fit and they dont leak.
            Duffy, Gatineau, Quebec

Comment

Is the bottom of that chart the feed rates available? I think I see an 0.088 feed rate, which is pretty close to 11.5 (0.087).

Comment

Or buy some brass hose ends and solder or thread them on to your parts.
                Paul A.

Make it fit.
                You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Use 2.25mm pitch.
                  The error is only 0.0016" per rev.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Thanks for the replies,
                    I will give 2.25mm pitch a try.

Ted

Comment

If you can swap the 54T and 90T gears the lever settings for 32 TPI (III 1 and I 9) will give you 11.52 TPI. If you leave the 90T gear in its original place and replace the 54T gear with the 42T gear the lever setting for 9 TPI (II 2) will give you 11.571+ TPI.
                      Don Young

Comment

Working...
                      X