Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT - PayPal Rant

So..
    I go to order a product. The Merchant uses PayPal for handling his transactions. I don't have a PayPal account and don't want one, so I enter my credit card info and it gets rejected. No way to find out why, no way to fix the problem.

I call my card company and they say my card is good, and the transaction attempt never showed up - try ordering again. Same deal, no luck, too bad.

I've ordered this way before with no problems, but not with this vendor. What gives? Any insight?
    Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
    ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Shop somewhere else or ask the seller for other payment options. I refuse to use paypal or ebay as well. Its been something like 5 years now since I used either.
    Andy

Comment

Different situation but I happen to agree with vpt's suggestion...but ya gotta stick to it...i.e. don't "cave" at some future point until you can pay the way you want...some stores I just won't shop or only in emergency and yes, it does cost me sometimes but I can live with that since most often is a matter of convenience.

Comment

I use paypal several times week and have used it regularly since the begining. I pay though Paypal with my Credit Card, not bank account. No issues with disputes especially as Paypal HAS to take all credit card charge-backs. Paypal is now way wider than just Ebay - it pops up all over as a payment option. Heck, we even have Paypal on ATM machines out here.

WRT the original gripe - if they won't take your payment form (call them) shop elsewhere.

Comment

Yep I dumped PayPal a few years ago. I have always been able to use the card on the PayPal checkout. Been lucky I guess. I do think I had a problem when I first canceled Paypal account but finally got past them trying to push you to use it. Hate them!

Comment

Paypal works great,until there is a problem.The way their system is setup any hiccup along the way turns into a train wreck.I avoid them unless it's the only option.

I usually just call the vendor and deal with them over the phone if possible,either that or I fax in my order with the CC number minus the last four along with instructions to call me for the last four and security code when they are ready to ship.
            I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I use paypal several times a week & it's worked well. If you need me to pay for it you can send a check. Just PM me your phone #.
              "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
              world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
              country, in easy stages."
              ~ James Madison

Comment

Yeah. I use paypal many times a week also. Been using them since about 2000 I think. Never had a problem, nadda.

And like the others have said. If you cant pay the way you want find a new dealer. Maybe just call the guy and do it verbally. Done that several time.. JR
                My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Over 10 years ago when PayPal claimed I would be "more secure" by giving them all my banking info I knew they were full of BS. All their replies were nothing but form letters as e-mails. If a company insists on PayPal I just go elsewhere and let them know why.

Comment

A little confused Weston .. you say don't have a paypal account and don't want one ... so where
                    are you entering your cc# into. Are you saying Paypal offers an option to enter a cc# without having
                    an account ?
                    John Titor, when are you.

Comment

I keep a bank acct with $20 but pay with a CC for dbl protection. I have paypals number & several times they;ve helped me out. I had to return the 90 degree milling head because of missing parts 2-3 month away & they paid the $65 shipping.
                      It would be hard to buy on Ebay & not use PP.
                      Last edited by flylo; 05-22-2013, 01:31 AM.
                      ~ James Madison

Comment

Paypal offers free, and paid service. (or at least, they used to).

If you want to have a free account(for receiving funds) you are not able to accept credit card payments, only instant transfers from other Paypal members.

Paypal, however, will still let people attempt to pay you using a credit card. Then when you receive the payment, you get to either convert your account to a paid one(where you will now pay a percentage on EVERY sale, not just those which are paid by credit card), or you have to decline the payment.

Pretty sneaky way to get you to upgrade to a paid account, IMO.

That's probably what you are experiencing, with a free user who does not want to upgrade to paid service.

Comment

No he's buying, no fee for that & you can send money personal from paypal balance or bank acct & no fee to anyone. Only the seller pays the fee just like when the take a CC.
                          ~ James Madison

Comment

Originally posted by mikeamick View Post
                            A little confused Weston .. you say don't have a paypal account and don't want one ... so where
                            are you entering your cc# into. Are you saying Paypal offers an option to enter a cc# without having an account ?
                            My question as well. There are a million small sellers who don't have a Visa or Mastercard account, so they use Paypal. If you don't have Paypal, then use a different seller.

Like others have stated, I've used Paypal for more than 13 years, and never had a problem.

The most frequent complaint I've heard about Paypal is them yanking funds when sellers try to sell junk on Ebay. Any credit card company, Paypal, Visa, Mastercard, American Express... will do a chargeback if the item delivered is not what you ordered or not as described. That's Federal law, not Paypal's fault.
                            "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Following up here.

I called the vendor and made arrangements to send a check. He was apologetic about the PayPal behavior but could offer no explanation as to why such things happen.

The situation would not discourage me from dealing with him - a good guy.
                              Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
                              ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

Working...
                              X