the premiere fifth wheel camper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the premiere fifth wheel camper

anyone seen this? It's a volkswagen beetle with a hitch ball right in the center of the roof. You can turn the car 360 degrees with the trailer connected, so you can pull the trailer normally or turn around and push it. Looks like the perfect thing for small cars.

http://www.wimp.com/beetleidea/
    Last edited by darryl; 05-22-2013, 01:54 AM.
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

No picture or link?
    "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
    world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
    country, in easy stages."
    ~ James Madison

Comment

Hmm- didn't get a clickable link-
      I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

They have been around a while, I remember them 50 years or more but here are some from only 40 years ago...

http://1973whsreunion.blogspot.co.nz...iler-made.html

Comment

Looks like an exercise in wishful thinking to me. Most of the small, economy cars were designed to carry a couple of passengers (at most) and their own weight down the road. Adding a "fifth wheel" type camper would result in increased wear in the engine, drive train, and brakes of the towing car. The other disadvantage would be poor performance and considerably less fuel economy. It's been tried before, many different times and ways. They usually end up sitting on a vacant lot with a "FOR SALE" sign on them, or resting quietly in the back yard or next to the owner's garage. It's a misguided attempt to go camping in style, and have the fuel economy of a small car. On a practical note, it takes a certain amount of energy to move an object. Unless you've discovered an overunity engine, or can manipulate time & space, hooking a small economy car up to a camping trailer is a bad idea.
          No good deed goes unpunished.

Comment

I got the link to work. It does ugly things just moving around the parking lot.
            Gene

Comment

I've seen that before, once in real life.
              It's cute and is amazingly maneuverable, but I have to agree with Saltmine as well. Probably not a lot of fun to live with on a daily basis.
              Can you imagine what the condition the drivetrain on that beetle would be like after a cross country trip?
              Never mind the stress cracks in the roof structure after a few thousand miles, that is if it would last that long.
              Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
              Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

The video's in artful bodgers post show a guy hooking up a vw to a trailer and doing 360's. I wonder how long the wiring would last going from the car to the trailer.

Brian
                OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

I pulled a fifth wheel with my '88 Ford Ranger with 2.9 litre engine for years. Clocked something like 14,000 miles on it with the trailer. The trailer was just right for it. 18.5' long not including hitch and weighed only 2300 lbs loaded with water and batteries. It was also only just under 7 feet wide so visiblity was good with short mirror extensions. The Ford had no trouble pulling it and even passing on the highway. Still have the Ford, still runs. Sold the trailer to one of the kids.
                  Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
                    I pulled a fifth wheel with my '88 Ford Ranger with 2.9 litre engine for years. Clocked something like 14,000 miles on it with the trailer. The trailer was just right for it. 18.5' long not including hitch and weighed only 2300 lbs loaded with water and batteries. It was also only just under 7 feet wide so visiblity was good with short mirror extensions. The Ford had no trouble pulling it and even passing on the highway. Still have the Ford, still runs. Sold the trailer to one of the kids.
                    Yes, a very popular and acceptable configuration, and it's scalable. That's not the case with the Beatle setup. Engineering wise it's just to much of a stretch.
                    Last edited by topct; 05-22-2013, 04:48 PM.
                    Gene

Comment

For Pete's sake! Of course a VW could haul that thing and so could the little Datsun. No one suggests they would be the rig of choice for a Cape to Cairo expedition but if you live in a country with good roads and you like to go to the lake (50 miles maybe) for your summer holidays and you choose one of these then that's a different matter.

Scheesssh, not everyone needs one of these..

...for a weekend getting back to 'nature'.
                      (What's with the camo. paint job?)

Comment

Poor Pete, he has been caused to suffer so much.
                        Gene

Comment

Originally posted by topct View Post
                          Poor Pete, he has been caused to suffer so much.
                          Yea, his neighbor probably bought a bigger truck, or something.

Comment

Originally posted by The Artful Bodger View Post
                            Yea, his neighbor probably bought a bigger truck, or something.
                            Something I wouldn't mind sharing the road with.
                            Gene

Comment

Originally posted by The Artful Bodger View Post
                              For Pete's sake! Of course a VW could haul that thing and so could the little Datsun. No one suggests they would be the rig of choice for a Cape to Cairo expedition but if you live in a country with good roads and you like to go to the lake (50 miles maybe) for your summer holidays and you choose one of these then that's a different matter.

Scheesssh, not everyone needs one of these..

...for a weekend getting back to 'nature'.
                              (What's with the camo. paint job?)
                              Although at first glance this concept must have had a lot of appeal, I believe the harsh world of reality thankfully killed this ill conceived idea before too many lives were lost

I very much doubt that the engineers of those or any other cars really had trailer towing in mind when they designed the roof structure of an automobile. To my way of thinking at least, lashing an 18 ft. trailer onto the drip rail of a VW beetle just doesn't inspire a lot of confidence.

Sure everything may go well on a perfect route or road. But what happens to the clutch if you have to take off from even a slight incline?
                              What happens on the highway when at speed one has to take evasive action or make a panic stop? I'm not an engineer but I'd venture to say those tops would peel open like a tin of sardines.
                              No I don't need the fancy motorhome, but at least give me a vehicle with a proper hitch and one that is capable of safely taking the trailer and the family camping. It's supposed to be fun not an ordeal.
                              Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                              Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Working...
                              X