Terminology question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terminology question

What exactly does a Roughing operation refer to? Large DOC, or large feed?

According to my local insert vendor, a roughing insert will do large DOC and large feed rates, but it has a rounder edge, so it won't give a good surface finish. He also said that you can do large DOC with an insert designated LF (light finishing). But you can't do large feed rate with it.

Is the last statement correct? would an LF insert do large DOC?

Sounds like a reasonable rule of thumb to me. It's all about achieving load distribution and avoiding high, point loading on that fragile cutting edge.

Phil

Comment

Roughing is simply removing material in a hurry without regard to finish or precise dimension.
      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Roughing = removing material fast, not after surface quality. Basically taking the machines power, setup rigidity and insert life to the extreme end to get things done fast.

And yeah, for roughing inserts they use larger nose radius (doesn't break so easily), the small land on top is wider and the chip breaker(s) are more to the center of the insert and not next to the edge. Likes large feed and/or large DOC.

For example, I have usually done roughing with a DNMG insert that has a 1.6 mm radius on a lathe. Can't remember the exact designation, but the feed has been about 0.8 mm per revolution and as much depth as the machine can.

Just couple of words of wisdom: Chip guard.
        Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

well, i wonder why my favourite (hss) finishing cutter has a radius of 3 mm.

Comment

Originally posted by dian View Post
            well, i wonder why my favourite (hss) finishing cutter has a radius of 3 mm.
            To give a smooth finish. Really, it is better to have a radius than not at all, but a bigger radius also means more beefier cutting edge that thus withstands the cutting forces better (when roughing).
            Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

Working...
            X