Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why you shouldn't store acetylene inside your car.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why you shouldn't store acetylene inside your car.

http://www.theprovince.com/news/expl...197/story.html

Just a little plumbers tank. What harm could that possibly cause???

Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

That's one lucky guy..
    Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
    Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
    Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Wowza!

Comment

I had three 6Kg cylinders of acetylene delivered to date, and all of them came in a minivan. Shrug ...

The last acetylene bottle came to replace the previous bottle which was leaking. I ended up returning the acetylene and the oxygen bottle and got my deposit back.

Comment

It's amazing how much force that had.

“There is extensive damage to a number of buildings in the area, including damage as high as the 12th floor of one of the buildings,” Roder said in a press release.
          (From above story)

What is so bad about acetylene is that it will detonate rather than just deflagrate. With the correct mix in an enclosed space it almost immediately switches from burning to detonation, as in high energy explosive. Acetylene is used to power shock tubes for studying shock waves.
          Last edited by Evan; 05-22-2013, 05:38 PM.
          Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Funny but true story.
            As kids we used to keep rabbits for food, big row of cages down the side of the garden and me and older bro were responsible for them.
            As usual with animal feed we had rats which we put traps down for but didn't know where they were living. One Sunday afternoon whilst messing with our motor bikes bro saw a rat disappear under next doors shed.

Rushed in the house to tell the old man who was having his Sunday afternoon nap. Old man told bro to go look in the garage on on the top shelf was some Calcium Carbide crystals from the old carbide lamps. Explains to bro that you used to drip water on the carbide and light the acetylene gas given off for lighting.

Throw some under the shed, poke it under with a broom stick and pump some water down with a stirrup pump, that will get rid of them.

So bro does this but misunderstands what the old man meant, so pumps some water down, waits a minute or so and throws a match down.

Jesus H Christ with a Bridgeport, tremendous bang, shed takes off, lands about 18" from where it should be all drunken and missing windows, terrible smell of shىte from bro.

But the good news is that after we could both sit down again a few days later - no rats.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

It seems like every few years or so something like this happens. Still amazes me the amount of damage it can cause.

Comment

Guy I work with(the owners son) got the bright idea to fill up balloons with acetylene from the torches because he was heading to a 4th of July party and they would make cool fireworks. Filled up all the balloons and stuffed them into a garbage bag. Headed out to the parking lot and proceeded to stuff the bag into the hatch of his car. While closing the hatch something must have gave a nice static charge and lit the bag off. Blew him right across the parking lot and the car was all burnt up. Lucky it didn't happen while he was driving. Sadly, it probably wasn't the dumbest thing this guy has done.

Comment

You can tell by the way it's all spread open like that that it was one hell of a blast.

SJ story made me laugh "smell of ****e from bro" lol that's good stuff, he was lucky too...

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson View Post
                    So bro does this but misunderstands what the old man meant, so pumps some water down, waits a minute or so and throws a match down.

Jesus H Christ with a Bridgeport, tremendous bang, shed takes off, lands about 18" from where it should be all drunken and missing windows, terrible smell of shىte from bro.

But the good news is that after we could both sit down again a few days later - no rats.

Clumsy bastard

Steve

Comment

Best laugh I've had all week, John. Thanks for that story.
                      I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson View Post
                        Funny but true story.
                        Great story. JR
                        My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Our 100+ year old home has all the lights plumbed for gas which I thought strange because we still don't have natural gas available. Well the lights have been changed but all the piping is still there. I was cutting the concrete floor in the basement & found the carbide generator. They made acetylene out of carbide. Pretty cool set up for the time.

Comment

Originally posted by oxford View Post
                            Guy I work with(the owners son) got the bright idea to fill up balloons with acetylene from the torches because he was heading to a 4th of July party and they would make cool fireworks. Filled up all the balloons and stuffed them into a garbage bag. Headed out to the parking lot and proceeded to stuff the bag into the hatch of his car. While closing the hatch something must have gave a nice static charge and lit the bag off. Blew him right across the parking lot and the car was all burnt up. Lucky it didn't happen while he was driving. Sadly, it probably wasn't the dumbest thing this guy has done.
                            Anyone who's ever played with acetylene bombs knows all about this. There was a time when we used to.....oh, never mind, not a good idea to be incriminating myself...
                            Keith

Comment

I'm intrigued by the idea of a carbide generator in the house to run lights. How the heck did they avoid blowing up?
                              I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Working...
                              X