Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jdunmyer
    replied
    Back in the late 1960's, I was a checkout tech on relay control systems. They used dozens (sometimes MANY dozens) of relays & stepper switches, mostly 120 volts. My boss at the time told me that if I didn't get bit once a day, I probably wasn't working hard enough. He wasn't far off...

Some places in the US use 550/575 volt motors, I know of one where my wife worked for years, Sun Oil Refinery in Toledo, OH. She once scored 2 old Lincoln motor/generator welders, one was 440 volts, the other 550. When I got 480 volt 3-phase power in my barn, I dragged them out to see if I could make one work. Turned out that the 440-volt stator was burned out, so I did some parts swapping and ended up with a working welder, rated at 550 volts. Convinced myself that 480 was pretty close to 550 volts and it would probably work as long as I didn't weld much above 350 amps or so. It's been OK so far, since about 1980, so I'm hopeful that it'll last.

Leave a comment:

• Duffy
    replied
    And to confuse the issue some more, torpedo power supplies ran at 2300Hz 120/208V. At least the Mk 44 did.

Leave a comment:

• The Artful Bodger
    replied
    Yes, 400Hz 120/208V.

Leave a comment:

• MaxHeadRoom
    replied
    Originally posted by The Artful Bodger View Post
    120/208V is (or was) used with aircraft.
    Also at 400Hz?
    Max.

Leave a comment:

• The Artful Bodger
    replied
    120/208V is (or was) used with aircraft.

Leave a comment:

• Jon Heron
    replied
    Re: Jon Heron:
    I am not even going to touch the '120v is (less/more) safe then (some other high voltage)' issue, But I will say your logic is flawed if you think comparing the number of deaths caused from *BILLIONS* of 120v appliances and connections operated in large by the untrained public, Often repaired and worked on by untrained unlisenced indivuals, to the number of deaths caused from millions of 600v industrial services only operated on by trained electicians, means anything at all. Its like saying cars are less safe then dragsters because more people die in cars every year, dispite the fact cars outnumber dragsters a million to one.
    I gave none of my logic for you to consider flawed Black moons, I gave you some statistical information and a personal experience, as well as the problem with 120V being nasty for getting hung up on... You can make your own conclusions with your logic, flawed or not...
    I do not recall ever seeing a motor rated for 208, 480 and 600 volts?
    Quasi, I have seen many, they make them every day. Not 208 but 220 - 600, you can likely special order one for 208 but they would not be so common, 120/208 3 phase systems are used more in commercial applications then for industrial...
    Cheers,
    Jon

Leave a comment:

• loose nut
    replied
    Originally posted by GNM109 View Post
    When we take over and make Canada our 52nd state (right after Puerto Rico)
    That's a joke right?

When your debt finally cause the total collapse of the US we will buy up the northern states for fractions of a penny on the dollar, Mexico can have the southern states back.

Leave a comment:

• Jaakko Fagerlund
    replied
    Originally posted by danlb View Post
    Are there any credible accounts of people being seriously harmed by a ringing telephone?
    Back in my days in the Finnish Defence Forces, we tied up the rigged up phone line to the big toes of a sleeping private who should have been awake monitoring for calls. When the phone call came in, he surely was awake.

Though, it wasn't him who was hurt badly but the guys who attached the wires after he found out

Leave a comment:

• J. Randall
    replied
    Used to inspect on new pipeline construction, and we quite frequently cut someones phone line. I always carried the stuff to splice them back. One day I was down in a pretty damp bell hole, and had one end of the line in each hand just when someone called, I got a dose of that 90 volts or better AC and it hurt like the dickens. Tingles don't bother me, I just grab on to the plug wire on lawn equipment to check for fire.
    James

Leave a comment:

• A.K. Boomer
    replied
    Originally posted by ulav8r View Post
    The last time I got a shock, my wedding band got caught on a corner on the inside edge of an old fuse box at the same time as it contacted a live spot. .
    I worked for a guy who was a body/shop repairman and he got his stuck between the positive 12 volt and ground of the car frame, turned it red hot within seconds - left one hell of a scar says he almost lost the finger...

anyone hear the tale of the death row inmate who refused water for days and days before getting the electric chair and survived the first initial shock or two? not saying it's true - just saying I heard about it and I live in a prison town so take it for what it's worth...

Leave a comment:

• WhatTheFlux!
    replied
    Hey thank you for answering the original question. This thread has turned into QUITE the education regarding electric power and safety.

Leave a comment:

• ulav8r
    replied
    The first time my dad had me help him install some wiring, we worked it hot. We were adding several outlets to a circuit. Got a couple of tingles doing that. The last time I got a shock, my wedding band got caught on a corner on the inside edge of an old fuse box at the same time as it contacted a live spot. I don't know/remember if it was a wire, screw or what.

Dad was a power company lineman and was used to working around hot wires.

Leave a comment:

• quasi
    replied
    I do not recall ever seeing a motor rated for 208, 480 and 600 volts?

Leave a comment:

• danlb
    replied
    Originally posted by Evan View Post
    Also, when a telephone rings the voltage is around 90 to 110 vac at varying low frequencies. That will get your attention.
    As a telephone company worker I'd get hit by ringing current once or twice a day. The terminals were less than 1/2 inch apart so the shock was localized to that small patch of skin and felt like a bee sting. The pain subsides immediately, leaving only the memory and a sheen of sweat to ensure that you will feel the next one.

Ringing signal is typically 20 Hz. I don't recall any instance where i experienced any sort of muscle contractions as a result of ringing current.

Are there any credible accounts of people being seriously harmed by a ringing telephone? I could not find any.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    I can commonly feel a slight tingle from car batteries when my hands are sweaty but there is no danger of passing enough current to cause a problem. Try a 9 volt battery on your tongue. I'm sure most people have. Make it 50 vdc to find what it can do in the right (wrong) circumstances. No thank you.

Also, when a telephone rings the voltage is around 90 to 110 vac at varying low frequencies. That will get your attention.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X