Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Got That Wood Grain Pattern Again..............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forget the oak, im thinking tiger stripe 6061...

Comment

A.K. the vise holds tight evenly across the jaws, it's not sprung or anything like that and the jaws are like new, I've ground the a couple times in the past.
      The piece was stickimg up well above the jaws as it's 3" in height and the jaws are 1 1/2" tall, but at .0005 per pass there isn't enought force against it to do much of anything as far as vibration from an interrupted cut or any other type of movement. The aluminum block was settiing well into the vise with only about 1/4" sticking above the top of the jaws. As was mentioned, everything vibrates at a given frequency, if you change the freq. you'll probably see a difference in the pattern. I'm going to try some different speeds and feeds along with a few different cutters and see if I can narrow it down. I guess I have an exclusive here since no one can duplicate it. Remember I hold the rights, don't anyone try and infringe.

JL....................

JL.......................

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
        Remember I hold the rights, don't anyone try and infringe.

JL....................

You better be careful or were going to start calling you Patsy Sherman around here... lol

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
          You better be careful or were going to start calling you Patsy Sherman around here... lol
          OK, who's Patsy Sherman??????????? have I missed something???

JL....................

Comment

She invented scotchgard, completely by accident, lol

Comment

Want to get rid of it?
              Position your facemill not on the center of the part, but to either side.
              The first rule of facemilling is to never go on center.

Always climb or convrntional.

Again this patented woodgrain screwup does not happen on rigid machines. It only happens on manual bridgeports and such.
              I am looking at a part with similar finish right now, and beleive me guys at the shop dont spend too much time making sute tram is perfect.

The pattern is vibration based.
              I bet if you do un-interrupted cut it ll be fine.
              FSWizard - Free Online Speed and Feed Calculator

Comment

It's because you're using crown cut aluminum. Next time pay the extra for the quarter sawn billet.
                Location- Rugby, Warwickshire. UK

Comment

I would really appreciate it if someone could teach me how to do that on demand. And how to make it look like various different species of wood.

Comment

So your using a shell mill like a fly cutter? I don think they are expected to be used in this way.

Does any other cutters give this pattern, fly cutters & end mills mainly?

If yes (other cutters do this), I would think it is either the spindle bearings, belts or electric motor bearings. Belts can cause some crazy effects at times. If only the shell mills then switch to a fly cutter or end mill. I don't think Shell mills are center cutting, which is the way I am understanding you to be using them (I may be understanding wrong).

When you figure it out let us know, it would be interesting to be able to repeat this at will.

Jess

Comment

It would appear that you have found something really great, Now you need to learn how to control it

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
                      Oregon Coast

Comment

Hmmm, what is the distance between the cutters of the shell mill?

is one cutter entering the middle section when the other starts getting involved into the outer edge???

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
                          I guess I have an exclusive here since no one can duplicate it. Remember I hold the rights, don't anyone try and infringe.

Not!

Upper: HSS
                          Lower: Brazed Carbide
                          Both 6061

I was thinking backlash in the splines on my mill because the HSS cutter hammered quite a bit more than the carbide. Changing feed or speed didn't eliminate it.

Comment

Rare billet!
                            Andy

Comment

Can you ckeck if you have axial backlash in your spindle?
                              Put an indicator on it and try pulling it up and down.
                              FSWizard - Free Online Speed and Feed Calculator

Comment

Originally posted by randm View Post
                                It's because you're using crown cut aluminum. Next time pay the extra for the quarter sawn billet.
                                Is this supposed to be a joke?????? Maybe I should look for rift cut aluminum next time.LOL

JL......................

Comment

Working...
                                X