OK, I'm "guilty"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK, I'm "guilty"

I am "guilty" of using a lawn & leaf blower to "sweep" my shop floor and I suspect we probably have other "closet leaf blower users" on the forum. Sure is easier, quicker, etc than ye old push broom. It is especially easier on my back as it still hurts from my Sept car wreck.

However, the shop floor still could use a good mopping. In the past I've used a commercial grade string mop as I do not think a sponge mop or something like s "Swiffer" http://www.swiffer.com/products/swiffer-sweeper will hold up or do much cleaning in a shop environment. So there is this issue of back pain. I'm not willing to use the string mop right now as it could only aggravate my back and I don't think my therapist would think too much of my doing so either.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to "mop" the floor without a lot of back strain? Scrubbing it on my hands & knees does not exactly excite me either.

I have a pressure washer, but really don't want to use it as the inside of the walls are sheeted with MDF and it does not hold up well when it gets wet.

What's wrong with using a shop vac? Crap the last thing I would let loose in my shop is a leaf blower.
    Gene

Comment

That's a hard one, Stan. This is just thinking out loud now... Maybe a garden hose connected to your shop sink faucet? Use a rubber squeegee on the end of a broom handle to "wipe" the floor. It would be easier if you had a drain somewhere to direct it too. Otherwise, maybe use a light sprayer like a gardener would so you don't create a flood? I'm trying to avoid a heavy bucket of water, likewise a heavy mopping implement and no bending over either. A hurting back sure does limit things. Sorry to hear you're in pain.

Comment

Shoot with a title like that, I thought you were going to cop to PMing FlyLo. . . .

Cleaning?!? I got nothing.

Jim

Comment

I use a shop vac to pick up the worst of it then use "Simple Green" to cut the oil film and gunk and use a string mop and squeeze bucket to finish it off. The simple green really takes a great deal of scrubbing out of the equation but adding a bit of muscle certainly helps. I also have a large stiff bristle brush on a long handle to scrub very dirty areas prior to the wet mop. Worst case hire a neighbor kid to come in and help you.

Comment

Originally posted by topct View Post
            What's wrong with using a shop vac? Crap the last thing I would let loose in my shop is a leaf blower.
            Times 2

Comment

To heck with mopping... Assuming you have a "wet/dry" vac, use the "wet" feature to suck up any water and detergent you spray on. I did my entire 900 sq foot garage (after an "accident" with spraying paint) with paint stripper and a garden hose.

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur.Marks View Post
                Otherwise, maybe use a light sprayer like a gardener would so you don't create a flood? I'm trying to avoid a heavy bucket of water, likewise a heavy mopping implement and no bending over either. A hurting back sure does limit things. Sorry to hear you're in pain.
                This has merit. I could combine the sprayer with a decent sponge mop and get the job done WO too much bending. I'll have to see what I can find locally. I also have a good deck brush on a broom handle.

Unfortunately I did not think far enough ahead and build in floor drains. I can however push it out the overhead door.

Comment

[QUOTE\]

Scrubbing it on my hands & knees does not exactly excite me either.
                  .[/QUOTE]

When I herniated a disc in my back 5 years ago one of the recommended exercises was getting down on all fours and wagging my tail like a dog - pretty much the same as scrubbing floors by hand. It does help!

Of course, what with queue jumpers in the Alberta healthcare system, I missed out on getting surgery done in an expeditious manner, and am living with spinal chord damage.

Comment

Stan,

I can't help you with an easy way but what I do is slosh some water with detergent in it on the floor and scrub it around with a stiff bristle broom, then vacuum it up with a shop vac. Works very well, I think better than a mop.

Brian
                    OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

I have swept the shop floor with the leaf blower before. It works really well in the wood shop. We don't have dust collection so after a while the dust accumulates everywhere. I put a box fan pointing at the door and start at the other end top to bottom. It works well. Its no real different than sweeping the floor with an air hose.

Comment

Originally posted by oxford View Post
                        Its no real different than sweeping the floor with an air hose.
                        That's also my rationale. The custodians at work use small battery operated lawn & leaf blowers to get into all the nooks & crannies.

Comment

How about one of those floor washing robots?

Comment

Originally posted by Glug View Post
                            How about one of those floor washing robots?
                            Hum, wonder if they would be willing to give me one for testing?

Comment

I too confess to using a leaf blower to clean up my shop floor. I also (although not often enough) use a heavy duty degreaser and a stiff brush on a long handle to scrub the floor and then hose it out.

Comment

Working...
                              X