Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT - how to remove coolant smells from my clothes!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT - how to remove coolant smells from my clothes!!

After ten years as a medical field technologist, I've made a life change, and gotten a job at a machine shop. I'm into my third week as a Barber-coleman hobbs machine operator, and a Fellows 10-2 shaper operator. As anyone who has ran these types of machines will attest, you get a bit of coolant on you

My wife has tried many home remedies to get the odor out, vinegar, pre soaking, oxy booster, and what not. Is there any way to get the smell out, or do I have work clothes that forever smell like yesterdays work....???

Quick soak in bicarbonate of soda solution should ease the problem, you can add a little borax as well but optional, that's what the missus tells me!
    Mark

Comment

Clothes for work and clothes for home, and don't wash them together. Or better yet, wash the work clothes elsewhere since the oil/chips are hard to get out of the machine. Best solution is a uniform service that supplies and washes them for you.

Been there, done that.

Comment

Originally posted by adatesman View Post
        Best solution is a uniform service that supplies and washes them for you.
        AS an employee of a uniform rental company I'll second that idea.

Comment

New job...new wife...old clothes

Comment

Wash work clothes separately.
            After workclothes wash regular socks or something and the t-shirts and stuff. Only then you throw your wifes panties in there
            FSWizard - Free Online Speed and Feed Calculator

Comment

If it's that awful get a new washer, and use the old one for work clothes exclusively.

Comment

I used to do a lot of boat work and would come home smelling of diesel, oily bilge, hydraulic fluid, etc.
                the wife used a cup or so of sudsy ammonia added to the wash, with the detergent, would usually take care of it.
                Just don't mix ammonia and bleach!
                I cut it twice, and it's still too short!
                Scott

Comment

Not completely relevant, but I have at times had to get greasy or oily stains out of clothes. When spot and stain removers didn't work, I thought I'd try fast orange hand cleaner since there was nothing to lose at that point. Not only did it completely remove the stain, but it washed out without leaving a trace. I think the nastiest one I had was that black chain lube that came off on a friends light colored pants. Took it right out and didn't alter the color.
                  I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

try some baking soda

Comment

Home remedies may work, but have you tried contacting the coolant manufacturer?

Comment

A friend in the laundry business told me that they used Pine-Sol to remove grease and oil from clothing so that may help.
                        Don Young

Comment

elf,

I've worked there all of three weeks part time, I start full time on tuesday! I don't have a clue who makes our coolant, or even what type it is.....

Thanks to everyone who has replied, the wife will try a baking soda pre soak before washing.....

Comment

I don't know about coolant, but when I wash really oily, greasy, or mill scale stained clothes, I dump in some Simple Green. If I open the lid and the clothes still have a strong smell, I wash them again. Even my shop rags come out clean after two washes.

Comment

Second the simple green. Pre-soak the stains with 100% and it usually only requires a single wash. It's removed some really nasty axle grease in the past and made a believer out of me. I do use standard laundry soap and oxyclean in with the wash and simple green. The combo really suds up but works for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X