Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT - how to remove coolant smells from my clothes!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alistair Hosie
    replied
    Surely the modern bio powders for washing machines should take care of this I am left wonderring why not? Have fun with your career change however and take it easy you smelly devil you.LOL Alistair

Leave a comment:

• Peter S
    replied
    Am i the only one.....I open the cupboard to get a clean pair of overalls - aaahhh - the nice smell of coolant perfumes the air....

Leave a comment:

• John Stevenson
    replied
    Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post
    Same for curtains. Buy cheap, hang them and throw away when dirty. Save a fortune on not washing them.

Nev.

Yup,
    Curtains, then dust sheets, then rag, then fire lighters

Leave a comment:

• NiftyNev
    replied
    Originally posted by John Stevenson View Post
    You can't wash a pair of jeans and get them clean for $5.
    Same for curtains. Buy cheap, hang them and throw away when dirty. Save a fortune on not washing them.

Nev.

Leave a comment:

• John Stevenson
    replied
    Buy a pair of $5 jeans and shirt from wallmart, wear them just for work, change at work and come home in decent gear.

When you can't bend down in the $5 jeans, throw them away and get another set.

You can't wash a pair of jeans and get them clean for $5.

When I do the China factory run, I only take cheap clothes over and dump them all in China, luggage allowance is 23 Kg and why use that to bring dirty clothes back ?

Leave a comment:

• Mike Burch
    replied
    Work in the nude.
    Or, preferably, wear overalls and chuck them in the washing machine once a year or so.

Leave a comment:

• jnissen
    replied
    Second the simple green. Pre-soak the stains with 100% and it usually only requires a single wash. It's removed some really nasty axle grease in the past and made a believer out of me. I do use standard laundry soap and oxyclean in with the wash and simple green. The combo really suds up but works for me.

Leave a comment:

• Boostinjdm
    replied
    I don't know about coolant, but when I wash really oily, greasy, or mill scale stained clothes, I dump in some Simple Green. If I open the lid and the clothes still have a strong smell, I wash them again. Even my shop rags come out clean after two washes.

Leave a comment:

• elginrunner
    replied
    elf,

I've worked there all of three weeks part time, I start full time on tuesday! I don't have a clue who makes our coolant, or even what type it is.....

Thanks to everyone who has replied, the wife will try a baking soda pre soak before washing.....

Leave a comment:

• Don Young
    replied
    A friend in the laundry business told me that they used Pine-Sol to remove grease and oil from clothing so that may help.

Leave a comment:

• elf
    replied
    Home remedies may work, but have you tried contacting the coolant manufacturer?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    try some baking soda

Leave a comment:

• darryl
    replied
    Not completely relevant, but I have at times had to get greasy or oily stains out of clothes. When spot and stain removers didn't work, I thought I'd try fast orange hand cleaner since there was nothing to lose at that point. Not only did it completely remove the stain, but it washed out without leaving a trace. I think the nastiest one I had was that black chain lube that came off on a friends light colored pants. Took it right out and didn't alter the color.

Leave a comment:

• Scottike
    replied
    I used to do a lot of boat work and would come home smelling of diesel, oily bilge, hydraulic fluid, etc.
    the wife used a cup or so of sudsy ammonia added to the wash, with the detergent, would usually take care of it.
    Just don't mix ammonia and bleach!

Leave a comment:

• Tony Ennis
    replied
    If it's that awful get a new washer, and use the old one for work clothes exclusively.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X