air compressor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• air compressor

Went out to mow. Turned the key on the mower and it started raining. Tried to mow anyway and the tire was flat.

I need a compressor - I'm tired of using the battery-powered emergency compressor I put in the wife's car. And she's away this weekend anyway.

What am I looking for? I need to inflate tires and perform other light duty work. Just a little pancake compressor, or similar?

Wish I'd have known. Home Depot had 31/2 gal pancakes with all the needed extras for $20 on a closeout, reg $69, with free delv. I bought 5. The extras are worth that. Very handy!
    "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
    world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
    country, in easy stages."
    ~ James Madison

Comment

here ya go:

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/st...%20Hand%20Pump

Comment

The small "pancake" or "hotdog" style compressors work just fine for that sort of light duty occasional use. They run on a plain old outlet and don't take up much space when not in use. Way better than the small emergency ones. I got by with one for a few years before I got my larger one, even ran the occasional air tool from it on short but helpful bursts. They work fine for nail guns and the like as well, so long as you are not nailing roof-fulls of shingles every day or trying to power a framing crew.

Be forewarned. You spend more than enough time here to be aware that this can be a bit like buying a small lathe. Once you have one you will find additional cool stuff you can do with it, then you need more accessories for it, then a larger one and then a...

Have fun!

Comment

Originally posted by alanganes View Post
          Be forewarned. You spend more than enough time here to be aware that this can be a bit like buying a small lathe. Once you have one you will find additional cool stuff you can do with it, then you need more accessories for it, then a larger one and then a...

Have fun!
          Agreed! All those $20 airtools that are so powerful (if you have a compressor to keep them at 80+psi)
          And the impact gun. Oh boy will you ever love (well, Not totaly hate) changing tires if you have an impact gun! The hardest bolts loosen with almost no torque on your wrist. Then it quickly unthreads the bolt, insanely quick if the threads are clean (1000rpm+!!!!), but if it has to, RUST WILL NOT STOP IT, only slow it down a little.

And getting things like flywheels off, Ohhh soo nice not having to try and restrain the flywheel.
          Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Better buy a bit larger compressor,,, air tools have never been SO CHEAP!!

Comment

The secret to compressors & generators is pumps & motors running slow & easy. If they do they they're quiet & last. Also never go "oill free".
              ~ James Madison

Comment

What's wrong with 'oil free' compressors?

Comment

I've never had one that lasted. The no oil needed bearings didn't last. We sold cpmpressors & had the same problems.
                  ~ James Madison

Comment

Agree the oil less designs are just not meant to last very long. Use them for any task that requires the pump to come on regularly and the things will go out real quick. I have a 5HP old school compressor with oil and it's been working great over 20 years. I change the oil and clean the filter regularly. Just keeps running. I did put an auto drain on it years ago and perhaps that is helping it's long service. It certainly doesn't owe me anything as I Ive used the tar out of it and it's still easily able to pump up 120-PSI and little to no leaking from the valves. I probably just jinxed it and it'll blow up next week!

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Ennis View Post
                      What's wrong with 'oil free' compressors?
                      Probably better to ask what isn't. Will take less time to reply.

Comment

You can change the oil in an oil filled compressor less often then you will need to change the pistons in an oilless compressor.

And trust me, Its much easier and cheaper to change the oil then it is the pistons.

The ONLY thing oilless compressors are good for, is fine airbrush (painting) work and breathing air. Maybe blowoff air if for some reason you need it absolutely oilless (again, high quality painting or something), but id think a seperator and dessicant would be a better idea.
                        Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Everyones needs are a little different... for me I wanted quiet and low amp draw. Ended up with a Rolair JC10 and still glad I have it. I can literally talk on the phone standing next to it while it's running or carry on a conversation, it only draws like 8 amps max.

Comment

I bought an oil-less Porter Cable air compressor about 15 years ago. Still works great. It's a 25 gallon upright unit.

Never had a problem with it.

I use it to air up tires including some fairly big tractor tires, blow dirt off the garage and shop floors, remove loose paint before painting, and a dozen other uses. Don't know how I got by without one.

Yeah, it might not last 100 years like the ones that take oil but I've more than got my money's worth out of it.

Comment

Agree,^ Ymmv on the oil-less, one of my wedding presents 17 years ago yesterday, was a 60 gallon craftsman 'oil-less' compressor. It has required less maintainence than my marriage. Running like a top for 17 years, the only thing I do is drain the tank frequently. (air tools, sandblasting, plasma cutter etc)
                              Last edited by plastikosmd; 05-26-2013, 08:38 AM.
                              "Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment" R.M.Brown

My shop tour www.plastikosmd.com

Comment

Working...
                              X