Stand for Grizzly G0602?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stand for Grizzly G0602?

I'm thinking about getting a Grizzly G0602 lathe (the 10x22 model) and since they don't sell a purpose-made stand, I'm looking for options. It's about a 450# machine, and I don't want the fuss of building something from tube or 2x4s. I've seen a few people who used tool boxes but a lot of people say they need reinforcement in order to prevent racking. As stated above, I'm looking for something that requires minimal or no modification.

I'm actually looking at the variable-speed model, to be precise, but it looks like the same basic lathe as the G0602:
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-x...ed-Lathe/G0752

Well you live in Beantown so A Plus Warehouse may be your place:

http://work-benches.apluswhs.com//in...-work-benches/

http://work-benches.apluswhs.com/ind...et-work-bench/

Comment

Oh, awesome. Lynn is a 20-minute drive from me, that's a great place to know about. Thanks!

Comment

Wow thats an expensive alternative to either making one or having one made? $1488 still if you want quality.LOL Alistair p.s. best of good wishes in your search.
        Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Originally posted by Alistair Hosie View Post
          Wow thats an expensive alternative to either making one or having one made? $1488 still if you want quality.LOL Alistair p.s. best of good wishes in your search.
          Well here I try to bring a little aesthetics and strength into our somewhat mundane machine world and behold the price is a stopper
          BUT wait for those troglodytes amongst us who are frugal (that can also be spelled "cheap") and are seeking more strength and very little in the way of aesthetics there is this mode:
          http://work-benches.apluswhs.com/ext...ty-work-bench/

Hey for for $627.90 you get a 60" bench that will support 10,000lbs (sheesh you coud put a DSG or a Monarch lathe on that)

But definitely puts the UGH! in ugly.

Now as for me my first lathe a 9" SB sat on a US Gubbiment work bench that I paid a whole $10 dollars for (Hint Boston is known for surplus stuff)

Comment

First thing is a 10X22 is a fair sized lathe. Now, ANY lathe should be properly supported and leveled if you expect to do serious work on it. This almost automatically excludes any wood benches. The support, weather a stand or a table, should be very stout and it should be bolted down to a concrete floor so that it does not move. Concrete is never flat and even a single inch of movement can change the set up of the machine. This happens on far less sensitive tools, like a radial arm saw, so a lathe is even more sensitive to these changes.

You need to look at this more from the point of view of bridge building rather than just a table to set it on. The legs should be a heavy size of steel angle or channel or even solid rectangular form. They should be at least two times heavier than normally would be required for the combined weight of the lathe and the heaviest work that can be mounted in it.

Between those legs a framework should be constructed to support that combined weight with very little flexing. It is probably more important to have little change or flexing in this framework when a change is made in the weight as in the difference between a small and a very large workpiece. It should be rock solid.

Braces (diagonal) should be added to prevent swaying of the legs and the top frame in any direction. All should be rock solid so the lathe is always supported in exactly the same position in use as when it is leveled and set up.

Finally leveling adjustments should be added. I like to have them on at least two of the legs, preferably all four. After they are set, there should be lock down brackets that go around them to hold the legs DOWN and IN PLACE horizontally. The feet on the legs must be constrained to stay on the concrete floor and they must be constrained to remain in ONE and ONLY ONE spot on that floor.

Only after all of that is accomplished should you even think about operator comforts like a table top, drawers, shelves, tool racks, lights, etc. A table top should NOT interfere with the leveling and set up efforts. Ideally, it should also be steel and should provide a uniform distance between the lathe and the supporting framework. The table top should NEVER be considered to be the support for the lathe. Referring to the photo posted above, a simple rating of the amount of weight that a table can support is not any indication of it's suitability for support a machine like a lathe. Many tables or shelves are rated to support a lot of weight, but can flex a lot and distort under even a fraction of that weight and therefore make a very poor support for a precision machine like a lathe. Engineer and build a solid support for the lathe first. Then and only then add things like a table top and the others I mentioned above.
            Paul A.

Make it fit.
            You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Here is my new workbench being delivered...

IMGP9326 by aardvark_akubra, on Flickr

Concrete, it easily holds my 12x36 lathe, drill press, cold cut saw and my little shaper. It is also a great space utilizer and "steady as a rock"!

Comment

+1 on concrete.

I have a Grizzly 10x22 on a concrete bench, It has worked out well, cheap to make, rigid, heavy and absorbs vibrations.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...876#post600876

Regards.

Steve.

Comment

Working...
                X