homebrew cutting fluid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• homebrew cutting fluid

Windshield wiper fluid provides nice lubricity - mirror finishes on soft material (plastics, aluminium) for example. I want to improve the rust corrosion of my cutting fluid with some additive, what can I add? The windshield fluid isn't that bad, but i've noticed that in some portions that were left overnight, a small portion has separated and started producing rust. For example, my puddle will shrink to 10% of its size, and that fraction is the rust causing fraction. My lathe bed has never had any problem with it, and I don't lubricate it with oil very often. Maybe once every three months. If there was some additive to hold WD40 to this windshield fluid, that would be excellent. Some people suggest mixing oil with soap and water, but I don't want the components to separate easily, because that would require a mixer of some sort before use.
    Last edited by Elninio; 05-28-2013, 12:55 AM.

Just out of curiosity, what is the problem with commercial coolants and/or cutting fluids?
    Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

For a cheap, general purpose machining fluid I usually use a mix of 3/4 gal. kerosene to 1 qt. used motor oil (for added lubrication). This combination has a tendency to smell (kerosene) but I have a good ventilation system in my shop so in my case it isn't a problem.

WD-40 makes a nice cutting oil for aluminum and plastic.

For stainless steel there is a commercial product called Anchor Lube which is a non-organic compound that comes as a paste (consistency of toothpaste) and can be diluted with water to your requirements. I usually cut it pretty heavily with water to help with the cooling. This stuff works great but it is a bit messy because it has a wax-like consistency which adheres to the machine and parts. It dissolves very easily with WD 40 however and in my opinion the trade off for its value as a cutting lubricant is well worth a little extra clean up time.

Comment

Originally posted by Elninio View Post
        My lathe bed .... I don't lubricate it with oil very often. Maybe once every three months.
        Most machinists oil the lathe bed every time before they use it, and clean it every time after they are done.
        How happy is your lathe?

--Doozer
        DZER

Comment

Windshield washer fluid is a mixture of methanol (a neurotoxin) and water. The smaller puddle that you see in the morning is just water after the methanol evaporates out, I dont know of any oil that will mix with water...
          Cheers,
          Jon

Comment

She'll dromus oil mixes with water, used in the steel industry in hydraulic systems at 95% water bal dromus, does not cause rust in the system, water hydraulic valves are quite pricy.
            How it would fare as I cutting oil If mixed with meths or methanol i know not
            Better yet use it as it is!
            Mark
            Last edited by boslab; 05-28-2013, 09:56 AM.

Comment

+ 1 for Anchor Lube

Would not be without it for Stainless work, or tapping any materials

Rich

Comment

By the way, inhaling methanol fumes (from washer fluid) is bad for your neurology.

The wiki entry gets it pretty much right.

Methanol has a high toxicity in humans. If as little as 10 mL of pure methanol is ingested, for example, it can break down into formic acid, which can cause permanent blindness by destruction of the optic nerve, and 30 mL is potentially fatal,[17] although the median lethal dose is typically 100 mL (4 fl oz) (i.e. 1–2 mL/kg body weight of pure methanol[18]). Reference dose for methanol is 0,5 mg/kg/day.[19] Toxic effects take hours to start, and effective antidotes can often prevent permanent damage.[17]

Methanol is toxic by two mechanisms. First, methanol (whether it enters the body by ingestion, inhalation, or absorption through the skin) can be fatal due to its CNS depressant properties in the same manner as ethanol poisoning. Second, in a process of toxication, it is metabolized to formic acid (which is present as the formate ion) via formaldehyde in a process initiated by the enzyme alcohol dehydrogenase in the liver.[21]

Have fun, play safe.

Yes, I am a doctor by the way...

doug

Comment

Originally posted by Jaakko Fagerlund View Post
                  Just out of curiosity, what is the problem with commercial coolants and/or cutting fluids?
                  I have to drive far to buy it and literally 30$ here, 30$ there, means i will never get a bandsaw and surface grinder. Plus, I'm moving to europe in 4 months, I don't need it to last 2 years like advertised!

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
                    Most machinists oil the lathe bed every time before they use it, and clean it every time after they are done.
                    How happy is your lathe?

--Doozer
                    No rust, still mirror finish after more than 5 years usage (I am not the first owner). It has withstood me doing drywall in the garage too.

Comment

Methanol has been banned from those fluids as longas I can remember for obvious reasons. Now they use ethyl alcohol or similar that won't get you blind.
                      Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
                        How happy is your lathe?

--Doozer
                        I agree with you 100%. All of my machines are pampered and recieve tender loving care. I have almost no trouble with them and my 14 year old JET machines are still like new. Wonder if there is a connection to all this?

Over the years I have worked with some real slobs in machine shops. Countless times I have seen guys running machines with no visible oil in the gear case sight glass. I would always stop and have a talk with the operator running the machine. Caught the plant manager doing it once and had a talk with him as well. Could explain why I never made far up the food chain.

I use mostly commercial coolant and cutting fluids. Almost nothing tops WD40 for machining aluminum except for
                        Tap Magic for aluminum. Around here $14/gal for WD40.

If money is a concern pipe threading oil is available at any hardware store and works great. Smokes, smelly and messy but while you clean up the mess you can think about all the money you saved.
                        Jim
                        So much to learn, so little time

Comment

Methanol is one of those toxins that will enter your system by breathing the vapor from the coolant, getting it on your hands and having it absorb through your skin. I find it hard to fathom than there is no where you can by cooland in a city the size of Toronto.
                          Look after your health or you won't need any more toys

Comment

I use green swarfega hand cleaner on Ali, it's a mineral oil based cleaner, great for tapping
                            Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Jaakko Fagerlund View Post
                              Methanol has been banned from those fluids as longas I can remember for obvious reasons. Now they use ethyl alcohol or similar that won't get you blind.
                              you are correct - was gonna go check and post back this morning, but i ended up staying in the shop all day

Comment

Working...
                              X