Steady rest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steady rest

I'm thinking of making a steady rest with rollers rather than brass tips which I have already. Are there any plans available on the forum?
    Clive

Originally posted by clive View Post
    I'm thinking of making a steady rest with rollers rather than brass tips which I have already. Are there any plans available on the forum?
    Clive
    Try this thread of Evan's for a start.

Comment

I have not had the time to do so, but I purchased a steady off EBay for less than $50 to modify. I believe it was originally made for a Chicom lathe, but it will be fairly easy to modify to fit my Logan. The modification will include installing bearings in place of the bronze tips.

Another option is to buy a steady from Little Machine Shop or Tools4Cheap and modify it to fit your lathe. I suspect there are probably castings available if you were to search the net.

Comment

Rollers are good until you get a chip in the running surface then you get a bump, or the wheel skids marring your surface, or leaves a divot in your finish cut when the chip goes around.

Comment

I wouldn't be an expert on steadies... any time I have used the old brass ( more likely p. bronze) tipped steady the performance has been very good. Is there any benefit in having rollers?
          "...do you not think you have enough machines?"

Comment

Originally posted by Davidhcnc View Post
            I wouldn't be an expert on steadies... any time I have used the old brass ( more likely p. bronze) tipped steady the performance has been very good. Is there any benefit in having rollers?
            The bronze tips can wear down while in use and they require more finesse/feel than the ball bearing types. With the bearing one can see it start to turn as soon as it contacts the workpiece. However, as pointed out a chip in between the work & the bearing will result in a very undesirable outcome. One tactic I've used when possible is to have a bearing on the shaft and set the steady to the OD of the bearing.

Comment

The roller steadys build less heat. Don't have to worry about running over chips if you cut a cardboard shield to block the chips.dead simple to make.

Comment

Originally posted by Davidhcnc View Post
                It's just a personal preference of mine. My lathe is Chinese and came with tipped ones so I'd like the option of both.

Comment

Originally posted by Euph0ny View Post
                  Try this thread of Evan's for a start.
                  Thanks for the link, I had already seen that one. If I can't find any plans I've sort of got an idea of what I want and will probably go with that using plate with 3 slots machined in it for the fingers to slide in with a threaded lug on the top, pretty basic.
                  Clive

Comment

"If I can't find any plans I've sort of got an idea of what I want and will probably go with that using plate with 3 slots machined in it for the fingers to slide in with a threaded lug on the top, pretty basic."

Clive,
                    I built one many years ago, its not hard. I had a thick piece of aluminum given to me, heres some photos of it. I have a Van Norman #12 to build it with.
                    This was for my 10" Atlas, since sold, steady went with it.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Steven View Post
                      "If I can't find any plans I've sort of got an idea of what I want and will probably go with that using plate with 3 slots machined in it for the fingers to slide in with a threaded lug on the top, pretty basic."

Clive,
                      I built one many years ago, its not hard. I had a thick piece of aluminum given to me, heres some photos of it. I have a Van Norman #12 to build it with.
                      This was for my 10" Atlas, since sold, steady went with it.

Steve
                      Thanks Steve, that's pretty much what I had in mind.
                      I'll use steel plate tho'.
                      Clive

Comment

Working...
                      X