O.T. Shoplifter alarms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O.T. Shoplifter alarms

I've noticed lately that when I visit some stores, their alarms at the doors will sound off. I'm guessing that it's my Ruger LC9, but dunno why? This has been repeatable at a couple of stores that I've visited on more than one occasion. Somewhat surprisingly, no store personnel have accosted me.

See: http://www.ruger.com/products/lc9/models.html for details on the pistol.

Stores include O'Reilly's Auto Parts, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, and Gander Mountain. My only concern is for some hoplophobe store security person wetting him/herself if they question me. Maybe they take one look and guess the situation correctly..??

Any ideas? I thought those alarms were tripped by chips attached to/embedded in the merchandise.

I don't think thats it. I've never set one off at those stores & I was carrying much more firepower than that plus all hardware in my back & my 4 legged cane. Maybe that chip they implanted?
    Last edited by flylo; 06-01-2013, 02:44 PM.
    "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
    world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
    country, in easy stages."
    ~ James Madison

Comment

Prolly due to the RFID chip that the Gov. requires in all handguns.

Rex

Comment

My car keys will set off the one at the local Rite-Aid store,but none of the others stores.
        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

The jeans I bought at Old Navy were setting off the alarm at Rite-Aid until a clerk told me about cutting off the tag inside the leg. Once that was done no more alarms.

Comment

It is not a shoplifter alarm, it is a device that makes an annoying noise due to some interference (metal, tag, wires etc.).

I don't understand why anyone would pay to have them, as it doesn't prove anything and at least here you can't be stopped by anyone else but the police because of just a doubt. Needs evidence, not an alarm clock.
            Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

I'll have to do some experimentation to be sure: with and without the pistol. Then, switch to a different carry piece.

Hmmm...

Comment

Awhile ago I recall someone explaining to me it was set-off by polarized plastic. The same type found in polarized sunglasses and electrolytic capacitors. I did a litte bit of my own reasearch and it seemed to have checked out. Not sure if the technology is the same today as it was 20 years ago.

Ray

Comment

heh. Seems they have fixed it recently, but at crappy tired... God the alarms, every 30 seconds. the cashiers wouldn't even bat an eyelash at the alarm going off. Rang like every 3rd person.
                  Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Moons View Post
                    heh. Seems they have fixed it recently, but at crappy tired... God the alarms, every 30 seconds. the cashiers wouldn't even bat an eyelash at the alarm going off. Rang like every 3rd person.
                    Very good example of why those devices can't be used as evidence for shoplifting - they are not reliable (gives false positives).
                    Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

Next time the alarm goes off start running!
                      Andy

Comment

My cell phone used to do it at Target. It was an old Motorola flip phone. My new smart phone is granted un-alarmed access to the store.
                        Joe

Comment

I'm thinking of returning to Gander Mountain and doing some testing. My cell phone was on my belt, so....

Comment

Most likely, it's triggered by a shoplifting device hidden in your cloth or shoes. Holster can be another possibility.

So, in order to check it, burst into a store naked with a gun in your hand.

Comment

I've used that same Uncle Mike's pocket holster with several different guns and never had a problem. One hangup is that I seldom go to stores, so will have to make a special effort to trouble-shoot this. Gander Mountain, being a gun store, would probably be best.

Not too sure about the bursting in naked with a gun in my hand, I think that might be poorly received. Might get away with that in Texas, but not Toledo, OH.

Comment

Working...
                              X