Lathe gloat.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lathe gloat.

Here it is in all its glory, Pratt and Whitney model 16c 16x54 lathe. Had a couple pucker factors getting it on the trailer but all went ok, hopefully getting it off goes the same. Must have told my dad 20 times not to stand next to the lathe when it was getting loaded, his hands weren't going to hold it back if it went.

Was that the free one posted a couple weeks ago? If so YOU REALLY SUCK! & Congrats!
    "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
    world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
    country, in easy stages."
    ~ James Madison

Comment

No, its not that one. I don't think that was a P&W. Want to take a road trip Flylo? I'll swap you for a vertical mill.

Comment

Originally posted by flylo View Post
        Was that the free one posted a couple weeks ago? If so YOU REALLY SUCK! & Congrats!
        No that was a Monarch.

Comment

OK I'm felling great, still get tired easy but the pic line is out, I drive yesterday for the 1st tine in about 2 months, the trucks ready & fueled & I have too many mills if thats possible! Leave it on the trailer & we'll meet half way.
          Originally posted by oxford View Post
          No, its not that one. I don't think that was a P&W. Want to take a road trip Flylo? I'll swap you for a vertical mill.
          ~ James Madison

Comment

Are those "T" slots along the back of the lathe bed? Other than maybe a taper attachment, what would you use them for?

Comment

Oh that's a beauty! Well done.
              Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
              Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
              Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Originally posted by john hobdeclipe View Post
                Are those "T" slots along the back of the lathe bed? Other than maybe a taper attachment, what would you use them for?
                They are, check this brochure out it shows some of the attachments that were available. http://members.shaw.ca/Zengineer/P&W...20-%201953.pdf

Comment

One more thing all of us have forgotten to do, including myself.

YOU SUCK!

Comment

Look at the 1st post under the OPs. Your losing it Doc. Probably too much aluminum in the brain!
                    Originally posted by Dr Stan View Post
                    One more thing all of us have forgotten to do, including myself.

YOU SUCK!
                    ~ James Madison

Comment

Originally posted by flylo View Post
                      Look at the 1st post under the OPs. Your losing it Doc. Probably too much aluminum in the brain!
                      Just CRS disease.

Comment

Me Too! I posted that then couldn'r remember how to spell Pauls last name.I seem to always reverse the last 2 letters. I just love that story as it showa it's 10% machine 90% machinist, Boy am I in trouble. Paybacks are h*ll they say!
                        Last edited by flylo; 06-01-2013, 11:54 PM.
                        ~ James Madison

Comment

What's that thing weight? I could barely handle #1,500 lbs.

Comment

I'm guessing 4500-5500#, That's just a WAG, I think my Pacemaker weighd 6300#. The Boyes & Emmes was 8000#+.
                            ~ James Madison

Comment

Very nice machine. If you have never used a machine in that class you will be really happy with it. I recently got a Monarch about the same size and I found that cuts were limited more by the operator than the machine. It's a huge job moving them, but when that first giant blue chip peels off - ahhh, worth it.

What's the top spindle speed?

Do you know when it was built? They get heavier going through the '40s and '50s. So if that's a late 50's machine it's probably well north of 6000 lbs for 16X54 machine. Could easily be in the 7-8k range. For comparison my (supposed) 3.5 ton floor jack overloads when I try to lift the headstock end of a 1942 16X72 Monarch model CY. Later models had even more beef.

Edit:

Link to attachments doesn't work for me. I'm curious about the goodies you could get with that lathe.
                              Last edited by Abaker; 06-02-2013, 08:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X