The 2013 version of the sheep shearing machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 2013 version of the sheep shearing machine

I am in the process of a complete rebuild on my sheep shearing machine. It will now be trailer mounted. The table and foot restraints will fold down hydraulically when I have the trailer in position. There is place on the trailer to pack all the panels used for my shearing needs.

The pictures posted are quite crude but they will give you an idea of what I have changed. My CAD drawings and models are more for me to conceptualize than to build by them. I ain't Brian in that department but they help me to visualize what I want to do.

The leg restraints will be hydraulically retractable to and from the table. Saftey springs will keep me from quartering a sheep just like I have had on the clamping mechanism from the start.

My goal is to have the unit be as quick to set up and tear down as possible.

The actual leg restraints I have redesigned also. In this version I can release both legs at the same time. In my tests so far they are much superior to the original leg restraints.

Also in this version the crate will put the sheep directly on the conveyor belt part of the table. The hind legs can be restrained before the clamp is opened. The clamp doesn't show this in the drawings but it will have a cutout at the butt end of the sheep to allow me to get to the hind legs before opening the crate clamp.

My wife is still a little mad at me for taking the body part off our horse trailer to mount my shearing machine. I had to buy her a new one before she would leave me alone. Women just don't understand these things.

Also the sheep is discharged off the back of the table into an exhaust race so I don't have to stuff it anywhere when I am done. It just takes one more of the stresses out of the job.

I am 61 this year and I want to make this machine do as much of the work as possible. I just like the challenge to build the best shearing machine in the world. It certainly isn't the cheapest way out for me but it is a fun journey and many of you on here have helped me a great deal along the way.

Thank you

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

i dont see any sheep. where do they go?

btw, would this work for dogs too?

Comment

Originally posted by dian View Post
      i dont see any sheep. where do they go?

btw, would this work for dogs too?
      I don't think so! Maybe a ST. Bernard!

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

How about an Old English Sheepdog ?

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

"The leg restraints will be hydraulically retractable to and from the table."
          Uh oh....
          "Saftey springs will keep me from quartering a sheep"
          Well, Id sure hope so. I can only imagen hydraulic leg restraints going.. horrabley wrong, causing much more of a mess then you had intended to clean up.
          (But then, I guess air units have there own problem with abruptness)

I would kinda think that air with hydraulic dampers might be nice, as you could adjust the pressure and speed independantly and accurately. With some safety blowoff valves and small sized cylinders to prevent any regulator failure from the aformentioned quartering problems.

But I guess hydraulics and springs are easy enough too.
          Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Splendid work and splendid journey!!! I have been with you in spirit ever since you started this sheep shearing adventure. You have progressed both as a machine builder/developer and as a designer. Congratulations, and thank you for including all of us on the forum. What a wonderfully fun adventure it has been!!!----Brian
            Brian Rupnow

Comment

Originally posted by brian Rupnow View Post
              Splendid work and splendid journey!!! I have been with you in spirit ever since you started this sheep shearing adventure. You have progressed both as a machine builder/developer and as a designer. Congratulations, and thank you for including all of us on the forum. What a wonderfully fun adventure it has been!!!----Brian
              Yes Brian it has been a big learning curve but shortened considerably with the help from this forum.

Black Moons I don't know why you are concerned. Haven't you ever had "leg of lamb"? !!!!!!!

Comment

Same old Sheep, different day!

Comment

That is pretty cool BF! Show us some pics of the new machine as it comes along. And don't forget pics of more "sheep" ready to go on it!
                  Kansas City area

Comment

Some of you guys are showing far too much interest in sheep, we are interested in machinery on this forum - see welding thread for constructional details of sheep appreciation bench.

Comment

Originally posted by Daveb View Post
                      Some of you guys are showing far too much interest in sheep, we are interested in machinery on this forum - see welding thread for constructional details of sheep appreciation bench.
                      Dave what thread are you referring to? Where is it located? And yes we like sheep on this forum! At first when I started my journey on here there where many skeptics. Especially from NZ and Aus. but even they came around to understand and appreciate what I was attempting to accomplish. My biggest skeptics have turned into my biggest cheerleaders. The Artful Bodger nearly ran me off the forum at my idea to shear sheep standing up. Me standing not the sheep! After some time he came to appreciate the concept I think. It is a good thing I have a thick skin or I would have put my tail between my legs and gone home with the idea. An upright posture shearing machine is not a new idea and certainly not an original idea on my part. The problem I had was nothing was available that met all my criteria. So with the help of many on this forum and other places we came up with a game plan and then I built the first machine. It was crude and not very good but it was a start. As time has gone by I have refined and redesigned the overall machine to what is now quite practical.

I am hoping that this version will put an end to the journey.

Comment

Black Forest, I am sorry if you thought me unfair in my attitude to your project at its beginning but I have seen many gadgets and contraptions for shearing sheep but few if any were as well thought out as yours so perhaps you will excuse my initial pessimism?

BTW, the new version looks very promising but I am sure it is only interim and that eventually you will be able to drive around the paddock in your wool harvester, wooly sheep being sucked in the front, skeins of brightly coloured yarn rolling out the side and bald, rather startled sheep popping out the rear!
                        Last edited by The Artful Bodger; 06-02-2013, 07:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Artful Bodger View Post
                          Black Forest, I am sorry if you thought me unfair in my attitude to your project at its beginning but I have seen many gadgets and contraptions for shearing sheep but few if any were as well thought out as yours so perhaps you will excuse my initial pessimism?

BTW, the new version looks very promising but I am sure it is only interim and that eventually you will be able to drive around the paddock in your wool harvester, wooly sheep being sucked in the front, skeins of brightly coloured yarn rolling out the side and bald, rather startled sheep popping out the rear!
                          Please don't give me any more ideas!

I only said you were skeptical. I don't remember exactly but I think you said something along the lines of "If I showed or told my relatives about this idea they would all laugh." But now it is all good and at least I have proved my tenacity!

Comment

Black Forest, when anyone mentions sheep positioning devices there will always be skeptics, at the very least, a few raised eyebrows. A thick skin is a good thing to have if you are an innovator, you deserve credit for having developed your idea to the point of practical realization. I hope we can look forward to some photos of your machine in operation.

Comment

BF, you've just won the Barber Of The Year award.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...aharanpore.jpg
                              Mike
                              WI/IL border, USA

Comment

Working...
                              X