Gloat? Not sure....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gloat? Not sure....

Local estate sale. 2 lumps of "plastic", $5 each.

The larger is 4.97 diameter x12.95 tall. Weights about 24lb (bathroom scale) and that makes it a SG of 2.18 if i believe the scale, so very close to PTFE. Feels like Teflon, so I'm going with PTFE for now... even though there are several similar "Flouro" plastics. I have a badly discolored tag that I'll photograph and try to enhance.

I couldn't resist at that price. Now to figure out what do do with it
    Last edited by lakeside53; 06-02-2013, 01:47 AM.

Originally posted by lakeside53 View Post
    I couldn't resist at that price. Now to figure out what do do with it
    yea... i have that disorder too... i dont even look at craigslist unless it is for a certon item... and when theres no money... no window shopping ether.
    ~ What was once an Opinion, became a Fact, to be later proven Wrong ~
    http://site.thisisjusthowidoit.com
    https://www.youtube.com/user/thisisjusthowidoit

Comment

I'm sure YOU REALLY SUCK!
      "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
      world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
      country, in easy stages."
      ~ James Madison

Comment

Yeah, for some reason that looks like teflon. Shouldn't be able to tell from just looking at a picture but that was what I thought when I first saw it. And I think UHMW and nylon 101 would both be lighter than that. Whatever it is it's a good score for that price--even better if it is teflon...
        Keith

Comment

Yeah, you suck also. It is UHMW. I say UHMW cause Ive never seen a block of Tef that thick. There is no reason for a massive block of teflon like that. UHMW? Yep. alot. Nice score anyway.. JR
          My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Good score. I got one today- a pair of mirrors for my bike. I broke one a couple years ago, and I've just been living with it. Today I went to a garage sale and found them- $5 for the pair. Then it turned out to be 1/2 price between 12 and 2- just when I happened to be there.
            I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Well, I got a like-new pair of nice blue jeans in my exact size and the fit I like for a quarter at a yard sale Saturday, and the guy threw in a magnetic extending pickup tool for free.
              Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche View Post
                Yeah, you suck also. It is UHMW. I say UHMW cause Ive never seen a block of Tef that thick. There is no reason for a massive block of teflon like that. UHMW? Yep. alot. Nice score anyway.. JR

I still think this is Teflon - The specific gravity of UHMW is about 0.93-0.94 (less than water). This is 2.18 and in is the land of Boeing - lots of weird materials to be found.

As at Friday there were 6 more rounds just like what I bought. But.. I need a use for these first, and greed isn't a good reason
                Last edited by lakeside53; 06-03-2013, 02:31 AM.

Comment

The general impression is that plastics are "cheap"... until you need to buy raw stock for a project It always amazes me what it actually costs! I probably would have picked it up too for a fiver apiece. I have a larger round that is left over from something. I've found some good uses for it: electrical socket covers, a new key to replace the missing one for my nephew's "Cozy Coupe" Well worth having, lakeside53.

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche View Post
                    Teflon is available in any diameter you wish, just like anything else. It just costs an arm and half a leg to obtain.

I once turned a Teflon piece that was 500 mm in diameter and a 700 mm long. It turned out to be a very large cone to be used when moulding some sewer tank. They used it as an insert to the mould and when the tank was solidified, they yanked it out to get the mould open. Teflon was the only material that repelled the plastic material they cast the tank from.

And it is a pain in the ass to attach, as the slippery surface is slippery.
                    Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

Nice score! I love having plastic around like that for certain projects!
                      Andy

Comment

If those are Teflon, they are likely worth $500 each.

Comment

Originally posted by lakeside53 View Post
                          As at Friday there were 6 more rounds just like what I bought. But.. I need a use for these first, and greed isn't a good reason
                          Well you could have bought them and passed the deal on to your friends on the HSM forum.....but then I guess you don't have any friends huh?
                          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

ahh snap, I live in bothell and was out of town for the weekend. I actually have a use for the other 4, dang!

Comment

I'll call in the morning and see if they are still there.

Comment

Working...
                              X