Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Make your own license plate

Not by spending time in a prison fab shop-

I've wondered this a few times- as I near the point where my bike cargo container is nearly complete, I'm about to mount the plate. I don't really like the plate, and I'd rather make up one of my own- same letters and numbers, same stickers, same size and shape for the letters and numbers-

Can I legally do this, anyone know? I'm in Canada- that might make a difference.
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Darryl---I think its illegal to make your own license plate.----Brian
    Brian Rupnow

Comment

Isn't there a prison in Chilliwack? Do something to get yourself incarcerated and I'll bet they'll let you make all the license plates you want.
      Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware - Tools for People Who Build Things
      http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Comment

Probably illegal.

Lol, saw two homemade plates over the years, one was cardboard, the other was thin plywood!!! lol

Kinda obvious.

Comment

Make your own plate illegally, throw a fit with the cops & judge, go to prison & make your own plate legally.
          "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
          world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
          country, in easy stages."
          ~ James Madison

Comment

The late owner of apple computer had bar code instead of a plate

Comment

You would need to check the state or province rules for such a thing. I seem to have heard that it is possible here in certain of the states, but it is up to the individual state as to what you can do. Your laws will tell you what you can or cannot do.
              Gene

Comment

yeah - just not seeing it go over too well as some people would be choosing the small case Inca letters combined with maybe the Mayan numerical code...

Comment

I was thinking of using invisible writing Or maybe something that you could light up from behind- then it would show a different number- maybe the prime ministers

No, nothing like that. I can see though that license plate readers would probably not work right unless the plate was original- that alone would make it illegal.

I guess I'll do what we did a few years ago- make a custom holder and put the original plate in it. My friend came over and we made one for her bike- maybe I need a matching one-
                  I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Originally posted by darryl View Post
                    I don't really like the plate, and I'd rather make up one of my own- same letters and numbers, same stickers, same size and shape for the letters and numbers-
                    Ok I'm confused. If you are going to make it all the same, why are you wanting to make one in the first place?

Comment

Originally posted by oxford View Post
                      Ok I'm confused. If you are going to make it all the same, why are you wanting to make one in the first place?
                      That's what I was thinking.

Comment

In Connecticut I have seen plenty of folks put together a wood or paper "temp" plate. But I have also heard the people who "make a registration sticker or inspection sticker" talk to the secert service guy's for countertfitting charges. They're not just about currency if I understand this right. I'd be inclined not to do this.

Comment

A friend of mine drives a Porsche, and he ordered boutique German license plates -- they're common on the 'Net. They have the correct Texas license plate numbers/letters, but it's the wide/thin black & white German license plate.

He's been stopped twice by APD, who bicker at him about the plates, but when the license and registration check out, they send him on his way without even a warning.

No clue how that translates to Canada. Probably has a lot to do with the mood the police are in when they stop you
                          "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

I have already made one for you Darryl. I'm sure it will pass casual inspection no problem.

Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Ha ha, Evan- I like it. But I think that probably would get me some unwanted attention from the Royally Mounted.

Why would I make it if it's going to look the same- the letters and numbers would look the same, but the rest of it would be different. There would be no slots and it would be thicker, with the mounting points built into it. It would have a finished-looking edge around it, and probably be made from fiberglass. I like 'Beautiful British Columbia'- I'd keep that, but I would probably like a picture of a BC lake on it.

It was just a thought.

Comment

Working...
                              X