Ball tuner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ball tuner

Hi all, I want to make a ball tuner for my SB13 lathe. I am getting the material to make one like Holescreek did on the PM board. http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...turner-130460/ .My question is can i us a ball thrust bearing like this, http://www.ebay.com/itm/140721618765...84.m1423.l2649
    or do i have to stick with the taper roller bearing. With the thrust bearing i can get a larger diameter bearing ( am thinking better rigidity ).

Sure, why not. There are also needle roller thrust bearings- many transmissions use them. Some of them take up only 1/10 of an inch. It's my opinion also that with the larger diameter you'll get better rigidity. In any case, you'll have to provide some pre-load from the top, in which case you might want a bearing of some sort there as well. I don't know if Holescreeks project uses that- I'll have to look at it more carefully.
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

See also http://bedair.org/Ball/ball.html
      Ball/roller bearing is optional.

Comment

do you really need a bearing?

Comment

Tune your balls???
          OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

Ya dont need a ball or roller bearing because you'll get dirt and/or chips in it and it will leave your balls with bumps on them. I personally dont like bumps on my balls!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bborr01 View Post
              Tune your balls???
              Rats! Beat me to it.
              Paul A.
              SE Texas

Make it fit.
              You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Originally posted by bborr01 View Post
                Tune your balls???
                Yikes, I'm outa here!!!

Comment

That type of thrust bearing is crap at handling radial loads so you may end up with something less rigid. None rolling element bearing is probably the best idea, a bit of friction gives you more control. How many roller bearings in your lathe cross-slide.

Phil

Originally posted by quadrod View Post
                  With the thrust bearing i can get a larger diameter bearing ( am thinking better rigidity ).

Comment

Aw crap one missed key! I can certainly make it with out the bearing, that would make it easier and more surface area.

Comment

I'd also say don't use a bearing. I would be inclined to relieve the center portion of either the base or the top piece so there's no chance of it rocking. If you create a pocket in the upper part as well, there will be a skirt that hangs down over the base. That should help keep swarf out of it.
                      I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

If you don't have an extended collet chuck like that shown in the photos, that ball turner design is a PITA. I made one (no bearings) and have to use too much material extension to clear the chuck or the headstock when using in-bore collets. A better design is one that rotates over/under the stock from the side. Someone here even made one that mounts in the tailstock. That would work too. The problem is that you need to be aware of your clearances whatever design you choose. Or go out and buy a $400 collet chuck.

Comment

Very simple ball turner for a South Bend:

Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Originally posted by quadrod View Post
                            Aw crap one missed key! I can certainly make it with out the bearing, that would make it easier and more surface area.
                            That is pretty much how I made mine.

http://thevirtualbarandgrill.com/machinery/

Comment

Working...
                            X