Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ancient history: half drilling vee for tailstock. Why??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancient history: half drilling vee for tailstock. Why??

First, I understand the entire tailstock drilling vee thing ( = "crotch center" ), but why make one with half a vee? I can't come up with a reason. picture

It may be shop modified. The only reason I can think of is for clearance of some protrusion on the backside of tube or rod.

Comment

If the "half" were actually not quite half, it would allow one to drill completely through a tube/pipe/rod with a larger diameter than would be the "norm"...or at least I would assume that the width of the "V" of the crotch sort of controls how large a bit can go entirely through before touching the sides of the "V".

I also agree with CCWKen, might have been for a very specific purpose/reason.

The other thing I thought of, though I don't know how valid it is, it would give a flat edge to measure from...

Comment

I've never seen a drill pad or "crotch center" before. Could someone give me a short primer on the purpose/operation (or point me towards some good reading)?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Fasttrack View Post
          I've never seen a drill pad or "crotch center" before. Could someone give me a short primer on the purpose/operation (or point me towards some good reading)?

Thanks!
          You put that in tailstock, drill in the chuck and your workpiece (usually round) in that V and advance it against the drill with the tailstock to get a hole in the workpiece.

Edit: This is easy way to drill on center holes in pipes and small rods.
          Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaakko Fagerlund View Post
            You put that in tailstock, drill in the chuck and your workpiece (usually round) in that V and advance it against the drill with the tailstock to get a hole in the workpiece.

Edit: This is easy way to drill on center holes in pipes and small rods.
            Yes, since the head stock and tail stock of a lathe are supposedly accurately aligned, this is a quick and accurate way to drill round stock (rod or tube) through the center without any additional set up as you would need if using a Vee block in a drill press or vertical mill.
            Paul A.

Make it fit.
            You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

If it were me, I would have done it if I needed to repeatedly drill a cross-hole - for example, for a cotter pin - through a turned part, whereby the cross hole is referenced off a shoulder on the part.

So, you would butt the shoulder on the part up against the ground away face of the V-centre, which gives you the right distance away from the shoulder, and cross drill - to make a a second-op simpler. You could do the same op on a drill press or a vertical mill, but perhaps it was more sensible for the creator to do that op on a small lathe, perhaps with a lever tailstock.
              Last edited by Sun God; 06-05-2013, 05:10 AM.

Comment

Thanks guys!

Comment

It would seem a little dangerous if the part wasn't supported on both sides of the hole being drilled. A recipe for binding.

Comment

That was my thought too, Forestgnome. Sun God's thoughts seem the most practical. At least if there was a shoulder that would aid in supporting the workpiece cross-wise to the vee. Even so, I feel like it still makes no sense, and it is a manufacturer catalogued item:

Unfortunately, the catalog provides no more detail. It is called, quite literally, "drilling vee, half." Bizarre.

Comment

Working...
                    X