3D Printing ?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3D Printing ?????

I didn't want to ruin another thread, so I figure I'd start another.

Where does a person learn about 3D printing. I've seen quite a number of articles and YouTube videos, but none start from the beginning of what it is and how it works through actually producing a part with one.

Are there any books out there or ????

Thanks, Dennis

"Recently forced to retire and need something for the rocks in my head to keep occupied by"

Originally posted by dlsinak View Post

Are there any books out there or ????
    Here's one, not out yet but due in October: http://www.amazon.com/3D-Printing-Du...ng+for+dummies
    Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

I would image web sites and blogs are better as 3D printing is moving so fast by the time a book gets written and proof read it's obsolete.

I'm in the market for one but it's in too much of a development turmoil at the moment, I know it always will be but this at the moment is at the bottom of a development curve.

Personally I'm going to wait about a year.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

but this at the moment is at the bottom of a development curve.
        It sure is. Just from the bit of looking I have done so far the homebuilt machines are only just starting out. What are being advertised as the "best" designs are still stuck at the mostly poorly equipped amateur level made by people without real home shops. There is still a big focus on how to build one with a file and a hand drill. Extruders are made from brass even though copper has much better conductivity. I am tempted to use silver for the nozzle. Laser perforated diamond would be better.
        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

But brass is reasonably suitable,a lot easier to machine and clearly works.
          Dave
          Just south of Sudspumpwater UK

Comment

See post #29 here: http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...nter-questions
            Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

But brass is reasonably suitable,a lot easier to machine and clearly works.
              Carbon steel bandsaw blades also work, somewhat.
              Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

On the CNC Zone boards there is a discussion area for 3D printers, which documents a lot of builds. One guy there, who goes by the name of Hoss, is a very good machinist, who documents his builds with pictures and videos. Not sure if the link will work if you are not registered:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/commer..._printers.html

Comment

Working...
                X