supermax 1440 lathe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• supermax 1440 lathe

this lathe is for sale, has been replaced with a newer lathe I presume, has a 3 jaw chuck and a taper attachment, lantern tool post,3 ph.3hp motor. Not much for tooling, owner couldn,t find the 4 jaw chuck. wants 1750.00 dollars for it.I asked how tight it was and he said like all old tools works good but alittle bit loose or worn here and there also said the reason for the low price is that it.s 3 phase power. I just sold my craftsman dlux 101.0 12X39 and if I bought this lathe I would probably have 3.000 dolls. in accessories. and I would still have an old lathe, I only have residential elec. power, I would have to have a 1 ph. to 3ph. converter to make it spin. I could use some experienced advice. THANKS Jim

Go look at it if you are reasonably close. Maybe he hasn't found the 4 jaw yet and will give it to you when and/or if he does. Residential electric suppply is ok; a VFD will do what you need for about $200.

If you have to buy a 4 jaw, they are cheaper than a 3 jaw scroll chuck
    Last edited by gvasale; 06-07-2013, 09:16 AM. Reason: spelling caused by fat fingers
    gvasale

Comment

That's a good price for the size of the machine. At one point Supermax was made in Taiwan rather than mainland China. I do not know if that is still the case. Never had one of their lathes, but had a couple of their BP clones. Not bad, not great either. Not as good as the Alliant version, but certainly way better than something like a Millport.

Comment

I uncrated and set up a Supermax 1440 in '96. It took a little getting used to as I had never run a Taiwanese lathe. It had all square corners and the dials and hand wheels were a little funky, but the machine itself was accurate and I learned to like it.

Now that I bought a new ENCO 13x40 for my home shop Im glad I ran that Supermax so I have an idea of the idiosynchracies of Asian lathes.

Doesn't sound like a bad deal at all.
        Illigitimi non Carborundum 😎
        9X49 Birmingham Mill, Reid Model 2C Grinder, 13x40 ENCO GH Lathe, 6X18 Craftsman lathe, Sherline CNC mill, Eastwood TIG200 AC/DC and lots of stuff from 30+ years in the trade and 15.5 in refinery unit operations. Now retired. El Paso, TX

Comment

Working...
        X