Sharpening carbide tool bits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharpening carbide tool bits

I have to sharpen some lathe bits that have braised carbide ends on them. I see that a special wheel should be used, a silicone carbide green wheel. What grit should I use? I have a 6" bench grinder. I also wonder if anyone knows how to regrind the cutoff tool that Smithy sells? it looks like it is ground square with just a 5 degree relief on the front. Been a while since I have attempted to grind a lathe bit like high school (1972), & then we used HSS. Any help would be appreciated.
    Spirit
    of mid Michigan
    If you have no "spirit" what is their?

Get a diamond wheel. The silicon carbide (green wheels) will grind the carbide but leave a poor surface. Note the word is 'silicon carbide' not silicone carbide' . I have been using the same diamond wheel for almost 40 years.
    Last edited by J. R. Williams; 06-13-2013, 11:53 PM. Reason: Spelling typo

Comment

Shars sells diamond wheels pretty cheap. Look at picking one of those up. Also there are a lot of different ones on ebay cheap as well. I found a 20mm arbor diameter one for my tool grinder and it works fine.

Comment

Diamond wheel absolutely. Doesn't spray wheel particles all around like the silicon carbide does and cuts more easily and with a very nice surface finish.
        Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

Green wheels work ok for roughing carbide but not for finish grinding. Get a diamond wheel for that. Also, make sure you have proper ventilation as the dust is quite toxic.

Brian
          OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

Originally posted by J. R. Williams View Post
            Get a diamond wheel. The silicon carbide (green wheels) will grind the carbide but leave a poor surface. Note the word is 'silicon carbide' not silicone carbide' . I have beeb using the same diamond wheel for almost 40 years.
            Not quite sure how you beeb?
            Spirit
            of mid Michigan
            If you have no "spirit" what is their?

Comment

'not quite sure how you beeb' - only when you have a cold
              I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

What is their what? Their elbow, or their big toe?
                The devil made me ask!
                Jim

Comment

Working...
                X