No announcement yet.

Laser Welder Gloat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As long as you have a variac laying around you might couple that to the 110 side of a 440 volt control transformer and either feed the existing rectifiers or just add a half wave rectifier outboard. That would make the current sensing easier I guess.

The yag isn't very efficient but it sure is fun. You could probably melt stuff with the drive pulse alone.

paul
    paul
    ARS W9PCS

Esto Vigilans

Remember, just because you can doesn't mean you should...
    but you may have to

Comment

You suck!

Post more pics as you get the beast to come back to life.

What might you use it for??

doug

Comment

Originally posted by Ed. View Post
        Apart from your eyes I would also be worried about getting holes burnt through your head or body!
        Nah, it takes an extreme amount of power to do something that damaging to your body. This wont do it. YAGs are a little less friendly than CO2s though.

Originally posted by michigan doug View Post
        You suck!

Post more pics as you get the beast to come back to life.

What might you use it for??

doug
        Make others jealous? Make the power company REALLY like me?

Dont know. A guy on another forum brought up Laser sintering, might try that. This has a real Z axis on it.

I was digging through some of the documentation and found the blueprints for the demo and build out for the floor at Tektronix where this was being installed. Pretty cool! (Building 48, 3rd floor)

Here is a pic of the schematic of the power side of the power supply:

Laser Welder Schematic by macona, on Flickr

This is the rectification section, three MDD42-12N1 half bridge per lamp, they are rated at 100A IFRMS and 64A IFAVM, whatever that means, forward current root mean squared and forward average mean. I couldnt find definitions. Either way they should be happy if I can figure out how to run it off of single phase by rewiring.

DC Buss Rectifiers by macona, on Flickr

Comment

Hey Jer

Does this thing have two pump tubes? Trying to figger why they had two supplies. I took a look at the schematic... aint it always easier to read the paper than reality... Nice harness in the pic, but it's packed in there...

TB105 and TB106 look to be be a good place to install a limiting resistor if you wanted to use the existing PS to reform the caps.

paul
          paul
          ARS W9PCS

Esto Vigilans

Remember, just because you can doesn't mean you should...
          but you may have to

Comment

Yeah, it has a complete power supply, cap bank, and trigger circuit for each pump lamp.

If you click on the photo it will take you to flicker where the full size version resides. Not a bad pic for an iphone with so-so lighting.

It looks like there are D sized prints of the schematics. I hope to bring it home thursday and friday.

It comes with an extra pump that was from a chiller it used to run off of. 115/230 single phase motor, up to 20gal/min at 60' head. That should do for my cooling scheme.

Comment

If you run it off single phase, you should SERIOUSLY beef up the filter capacitors or the existing ones may blow from the massive increase in ripple current, Not to mention the huge increase in ripple voltage that the load would experiance, 3 phase does not even need filter caps and will only have 33% ripple.
              If you only used very short pulses and sync locked it to mains, it might work on single phase OK.

20hp rotary converter*714W = 14,280W / 240v = 59amps input. Not nearly enough to run a 66amp 3 phase supply!
              Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

I have a whole bunch more 450v caps I had gotten from the Tek Country store years ago. Wonder if they might have been spares for it. That would be funny!

A friend who worked at Tek a little before they got this wrote me:

Yep, I used to work on the 3rd floor of building 48. The 2nd, 3rd floor and 1/2 of the basement were all CRT manufacturing and engineering (where I worked). The other 1/2 of the basement was devoted to IC testing of Tek made IC's. Building 46 (since demolished) was north of 48 separated by the cafeteria. Building 46 made all the traditional crt's plus all CRT gun assemblies. The more you describe this monster I sort of remember it being discussed by some friends I still had in CRT. Have fun with it!

Comment

Found some more info on it going through the documentation. Travel on X is 18" and Y is 12", Z has 8" of travel.

Tektronix paid over $270,000 for it, today that is over $450k.

It weighs way more than I was expecting. The plate the X-Y stage is mounted to is a 4'x4' sheet of 1" steel reinforced underneath with a 9x5 grid of 4" x 1/2" thick flat bar on edge. The base plate alone without the rest of the machine weighs 1038lbs.

Comment

Not knowing a lot about laser welding, does the actual process get done in a chamber or enclosure with inert gas, or is it shrouded with gas like tig?
                    Mark

Comment

It depends, here the gas (argon) comes out the nozzle when welding. Some laser setups are in a glovebox where it is filled entirely with argon. For cutting I will use either nitrogen or oxygen.

Comment

Brought home the first part of the pile, the power supply and the spares/manuals/etc. I am renting a trailer tomorrow to pick up and bring the main unit home.

IMG_6620 by macona, on Flickr

IMG_6621 by macona, on Flickr

Comment

What is your intended use of this gem?

What do you intend to do with this beauty when you get it running? Do you actually have a need to laser weld? Or do you have some work for it to actually generate some income? Just curious! What could you actually use it for? What type of things would one use this machine to weld? I personally thing it is worth having just for the cool factor but I do wonder what you will do with the machine.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

This combined with your wierd and wonderful history of purchases must put you near to the top of some agencys watch list.

Do let us know who comes knocking first .

Rob

Comment

Not sure what I am going to do with it. First I need to see if I can get it working. I got a line on a guy that can recoat the ends of the YAG rod. There were some new flash lamps from an earlier machine that came with it that I just sold to a collector, that just paid for 80% of the machine!

Rob... I dont think they will knock!

Comment

Loaded up and ready to come home:

Untitled by macona, on Flickr

Untitled by macona, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                                X