No announcement yet.

Laser Welder Gloat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I believe that those Yaskawa Sigma 2 drives can be run in Stepper mode (step/direction) and in that mode they would work with Mach3. Might not be as fancy as that MDSI software, but still very capable.

66 Amps at 240V??? that's VERY inefficient...

Comment

Yes, the Sigma IIs do have step/dir inputs. I think if I do choose to ditch OpenCNC I might go to EMC on this one. But the Mechatrolink interface makes wiring so much easier.

Yeah, not very efficient. CO2 lasers are the most efficient and these old lamp pumped lasers are down there. Not much you can do about it.

Comment

You know when your electric bill triples DEA will be at the door thinking you have a new pot farm, and telling them you have a $250K laser may be worse. Please post the mug shot.

Comment

Gut it unloaded and in the garage after about 2 hours of jockeying stuff around. I rolled it off the back of the trailer with a pallet jack and a come-a-long. Didnt fit in the garage as well in real life as it did on paper. A friend said I could put it in his shop so I loaded it back up this morning and took it over.

Took over the spares and stuff as well and went though some of it. A lot of goodies to be had, a thermometer type laser power probe, new set of laser goggle (Little sticky, old plastic), IR laser viewing plates, and lots of spare parts. Everything there to install the LD optics for drilling.

The laser has two set ups. A short cavity configuration where the laser runs at 400 watts average power in a multimode TEM state or in a longer cavity configuration that includes a intracavity telescope and a water cooled aperture. This brings the power down to 120 watts average but makes the beam single mode TEM00 which gives the smallest spot possible for drilling and cutting.

I still need to bring over the laser power supply and get that wired in. My friend has three phase in his shop so the power wont be an issue any more, well, probably. The laser is configurable to 208v, 220v, and 380v, his shop is 240v. The manual does not spec line voltage tolerances so I need to contact JK lasers and see if there will be a problem. Worst case, I have to get a three phase autotransformer to buck the voltage down. Once that is solved and I can determine the laser works I will move on to finishing the CNC portion of the machine.

IMG_6623 by macona, on Flickr

IMG_6626 by macona, on Flickr

IMG_6630 by macona, on Flickr

IMG_6632 by macona, on Flickr

Comment

new home looks very nice
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/csprecision

Comment

220v = 240v, Just like how 110v = 120v.

That said, once you put 66amps of load on there service, Don't worry, it will be (loaded down to) 220v
              Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

The line shouldnt load down to 220v, it is a full 200A 3 phase service.

I think it will probably be OK, but I want confirmation from JK first.

Comment

Looks like I have +/-6% to work with. So it's a couple 1.5kw buck/boost transformers for me.

Ordered new particulate and DI filter for the internal cooling loop. Need to find some heavy 6ga SO cord for power.

Comment

Last night I went over to the shop and dug through the manuals and schematics. Found some more info on what it was originally being used for, the final hermetic seal on the Tek 2467 and Tek 7707 tubes. The 2467 I can find info on, the 7707 I can't, I will head down to the Tek museum locally to see if anyone knows about this guy. The tubes used a microchannel plate to amplify the electron beam in tube to get a brighter image at very fast scan times.

I pulled the cover off the resonator to take a look. Someone in the past had taken out the intracavity telescope used in drilling and cutting as well as a beam path sealing tube. Both of these are in the drawer so they just need to be cleaned up. That will have to wait until next week, I am waiting to get some Chromatographic grade methanol to clean the optics. I pulled off the beam guards between the mirrors and the yag rod and took a peak down there. It looks pretty good, the rod is clear.

Today I hooked up some high voltage to the cap banks. The cap banks consist of 24 1000uf, 450v caps. They get charged to 425v max and the energy is dumped into the flash lamps with a giant transistor. I have a small DC/DC front end converter that gives me 380v out from 85 to 120v in. I slowly charged the banks and they seem to be happy to at least 380v.

More pics:
                    Down the rod:

IMG_2144 by macona, on Flickr

IMG_2148 by macona, on Flickr

Components from left to right, beam expanding telescope (collimator), shutter and water cooled beam dump, energy monitor section, output couple mount, optical cavity, total reflector mount. After that is where the intracavity telescope mounts and the beam path cover. In this picture the laser is set up for welding, it has a very short cavity with flat mirrors on both ends. You get a powerful fat beam that is multimode, not great beam quality. This is fine for welding. For things where you need to get down much smaller they add the intracavity telescope, replace the front mirror with an etalon and the high reflector is replaced with a water cooled aperture and moved back and another mirror with a 10m curvature is installed at the far end of the rail. This gives a lower powered, high quality beam that can be focused much tighter.

IMG_2125 by macona, on Flickr

IMG_2122 by macona, on Flickr

Comment

macona, your posts are truly inspiring and very over my head, love em
                      https://www.flickr.com/photos/csprecision

Comment

Ran 50' of 6ga wire for power and installed the two bucking transformers a couple weeks ago. The circuit breaker for the panel showed up the day before yesterday and I installed that and finally got power to the machine. The bucking transformers are doing their job dropping the 240v to 220v. I fired up the controls and the computer to be greeted with Windows NT 4.0 and a Novell login screen. I used a linux boot disk to reset the passwords and deleted Novell. I should be able to give the drives and motors a test run tomorrow.

IMG_2181 by macona, on Flickr

IMG_2191 by macona, on Flickr

Comment

The most important thing is to make "air quotes" with your fingers every time you say "lay-zur".

Comment

Before you get any further, you need one of these on the shop door.

Comment

Well, i do have this as my porch light:

IMG_6622 by macona, on Flickr

Comment

This is so cool....can't wait for the next update!

Comment

Working...
                                X