No announcement yet.

Laser Welder Gloat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, Cant remember which days. Not anything like it used to be. I did get a nice 1050mhz rf signal generator though last year. Now that I am working again I cant get down there.

Comment

Macona,

Once you get this thing up and running, have you considered making CRT repairs? I've got a Tek SC503 CRT that has the two heater strip attachments separated from the pins to the plug. Trying to find a replacement SC503 CRT has been like pulling hen's teeth. It's a small storage scope that plugs into the TM500/5000 mainframes.

Mark

Comment

I got the board set over a month ago and ended up also getting a 7i69 board that will allow up to 48 more points of IO and will tie directly into Opto22 IO Racks via 50 pin flat cable.

Getting a working computer system together has been hell. The first setup (Pictured above) had issues, I could not connect to the mesa daughter boards. Turns out there was something strange with the PIII single board computer in the case. For some reason when set to a 133 mhz buss the 5i25 card became unhappy. Only this card though, all the other cards, USB, WiFi, and firewire were happy. This took a while to figure out and started a hunt for a board that would work. I ended up finding a P4 SBC that would fit in to the existing backplane on ebay and it is working the best out of all the motherboards I have tried, getting about 10000/10000 under the latency test after a couple days running it. It was not without problems though. The board had bulging caps which I replaced (Damn RoHS solder) and then the thing would lock up linux after about 8 hours and I was getting a SMI pulse. I reset the BIOS to fail safe settings and all the problems went away, even the SMI issue.

I was hoping I could use a firewire c-mount camera I have to add computer vision to the machine but it really kills the machine when displaying video. Linux has been a pain with that. So many little things with firewire and simpler things like the touchscreen.

So now that I know my machine will actually work I have started putting the panel together. I ended up ditching the old roll around console that the guy was using before me. I got a 2'x3' JIC cabinet to put everything in. This will hold the computer, drives, and all the IO stuff. This is pretty much everything screwed down, I need to start wiring next.

Laser welder drive panel by macona, on Flickr

Comment

Got the drive panel wired mostly wired up short of IO for the control panel and the breakout for the laser. I ordered up a couple parallel port extension cables to tie into the laser. The laser controls terminate in generic Centronics 36 pin connectors so that makes it easy.

I took the panel and computer over to my friends place where I am keeping the laser and hooked it up. It worked. Of course all the motor directions were backwards but that was an easy parameter change. Everything homed out like it should. I need to find a better GUI for linuxcnc, the ones that come with it are awful.

The Mesa boards are working out great. The one that ties into the opto-22 rack worked out simpler than I though, any port can be input or output and it is just a matter of reading to writing to that "pin". Now I need to get a friend of mine to write some code to make up some custom M codes to control the laser.

Comment

If you are DIY'ing any breakouts and need Centronics connectors let me know. I purchased a big bag of mixed connectors on eBay and it came with about a dozen Centronics types I have no use for. Yours for the price of mail to wherever you are if you want them.

Lyndon

Comment

I was going to make some pcb breakouts for the centronics connectors. Then I found I can get 36pin extension cables for $5 shipped from Dell. No contest there. Just cut the cable and wire into the opto22 terminals.

Comment

Just as well. I took a look at them and they're all IDC type. I thought they were PC board mount. Oh well, guess I'll hang on to them for 10 years like all the other junk around here ;-)

Comment

Its been a while since I posted about this guy. Between the thermal cameras and the vacuum system I have been preoccupied.

So, I now have the drive and power panel assembled. Hooked it up to the servos on the machine and it all works controlled through linuxcnc. At least I can move stuff around. I have not messed with the control of the laser from linuxcnc, that can wait. Pick below of a semi finished board, it has been cleaned up with some wire molding to keep things somewhat in place.

I went through a couple different designs for the control panel, I got a 24"x30" cabinet and had a control panel cut out for it on the laser at work as well as a bulkhead for the servo cabinet for the cables. Not cheap, about $130, but a lot easier than trying to make it myself. The left side will hold the 19" rack mount 8U PC display and the two 4U controls for the laser.

I plasma cut the openings in the JIC cabinets this weekend and tried to powder coat the control panel and bulkhead plate. The powder went on thin and I am just going to have to paint it.

Comment

Working...
                  X