stair climbing hand truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stair climbing hand truck

This past week I have had the pleasure of moving a lot of furniture up and down stairs. Many cabinets weighing 150 to 200 pounds up and down stairs is not fun. I have two stair climbing hand trucks as in the link. The ones I have are much heavier duty than the ones in the link.
    http://www.google.de/imgres?imgurl=h...QEwBw&dur=1080

I thought maybe a motorized version was in order. I did the Google thing and found many different solutions to motorized hand trucks for stairs. Most cost several thousand dollars. Then I came up with the idea to motorize the axle between the two three wheel rollers and have them fixed on the axle and not turn freely. Then in between the two roller assemblies have a 4 or 6 inch round tube. Then mount a 12volt ATV winch above this big roller and attach the cable to the roller and give it say 15 winds or as many winds as steps I need to climb or decend. Of course the direction of the winds would determine which direction the wheels would turn. So using the remote control of the winch I could activate the winch and retract the cable which would turn the big roller and cause the three rollers to rotate and so climb or descend the stairs.

A gel battery would power the winch.

This would cost a maximum of 400 dollars and my time.

What say you all to this idea?
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Guten Morgen
    wohnen sie bei den schwarzen wald

Comment

The idea sounds interesting but I would have to think about where the torque reaction was to be taken. If the person holding the barrow handles is above the barrow the reaction would tend to throw him off the stairs which he might not be comfortable with, if the person was below the barrow (which I think is unlikely) the torque would increase the weight on the handles.

Comment

I think you just described a jury rigged up version of a stair walking truck we use to bring server racks up staircases in some awkwrd datacentres. Do you have a sketch?
        Ours the motor rotates the primary axle which provides the stair motion, and the wheels are free to rotate themselves on their own axles.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFluffy View Post
          I think you just described a jury rigged up version of a stair walking truck we use to bring server racks up staircases in some awkwrd datacentres. Do you have a sketch?
          Ours the motor rotates the primary axle which provides the stair motion, and the wheels are free to rotate themselves on their own axles.
          That is exactly what I tried to explain only it didn't come across clearly. Do you have a model name that I might look up on the internet?
          How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Why bother with the correct length of rope. Just connect a geared output shaft with the axle using bicycle chain. No, on second thoughts, motorcycle chain would be more secure. A useful extra would be a brake on the individual wheels - but that would need some thinking about.

A winch motor with a 12v battery sounds the business - one of those new batteries that don't mind about orientation.

If you're going to use a rope, just winch the trolley up as a static load, from an anchor point at the top.
            Richard - SW London, UK, EU.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
              That is exactly what I tried to explain only it didn't come across clearly. Do you have a model name that I might look up on the internet?
              Its at a dc I frequent occasionally but Ive sent a mail to someone I know to go look when he gets chance

in the meantime I saw this.

Comment

That is interesting except the wheels are always driven unless they can freewheel somehow. Too slow on flat ground and using energy best saved for the stairs. But I wonder if they would climb better.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
                  That is interesting except the wheels are always driven unless they can freewheel somehow. Too slow on flat ground and using energy best saved for the stairs. But I wonder if they would climb better.
                  A sprag clutch in each wheel's hub would allow for easy moving on flat ground. Think I would go with a manually operated clutch on the main driver as well for those times you just have to back up.

Comment

They would be popular in Venice. Lots of businesses don't have canal frontage for boat delivery. Delivery men trucking stuff over zillions of little bridges.

Comment

I had occasion to visit a mover at one point. In their warehouse they had an electric stair climber. I made some mention of it, since I found it interesting. He said they never use it- did I want to buy it-

I passed on that, but basically it was a track going around rollers, one of them being driven by a dc motor. Each segment of the track had its own anti-friction blocks which rode in a pair of channels on the bottom of the 'cart'. It would simply ride on the noses of the stair treads. Some hand trucks have a similar kind of track or belt, one each side, but not powered, which lets you drag it up or down a flight of stairs on its back. We used on many years ago, and it was a real drag- I think it was easier for two men to simply carry something instead of using the cart. I personally must have several miles on me carrying weight backwards up stairs- and down.

Knowing that a lot of effort was required to haul a weight up stairs on the tracked cart, I can imagine that the battery on a powered one wouldn't keep going for all that long. If it died on you halfway through a move- well that's probably why the movers didn't use it anymore.

The tri-lobed wheel idea looks like it might be more efficient, I don't know. I wonder if you would have to lock the wheels and just turn the assembly- if the wheels were free to roll, I can see losing control of the thing and down you go. Once you get to the bottom, or the top, you unlock the wheels and just roll it like any other hand cart.
                      I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

It is very surprising how much battery power it takes to lift heavy weights. I discovered that with my electric bike testing. That is what really kills pure electric vehicles, going up steep grades.
                        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Originally posted by GKman View Post
                          They would be popular in Venice. Lots of businesses don't have canal frontage for boat delivery. Delivery men trucking stuff over zillions of little bridges.
                          I was going to mention Venice as well - I watched a lot of vendors get up and down the stairs and they don't break stride doing it. They have 4-wheel carts and rock the carts up the stairs and down the other side. The skip a step or two with the wheels - the front wheels are above the ground level and hit the second or third step first. There are no motor vehicles on the islands - hand carts only, so they have it down to a pretty good science.

Comment

The wife wants some of the cabinets moved into the house. I am building the stair climbing dolley now. I have two plans. One is to use the 12volt winch. The other is to use two air cylinders connected to a ratchet that is connected to the axle. I like the air cylinder idea better as I won't run out of power as a battery might. The winch comes first but I will use a chain and sprocket instead of the wire cable. I already have made the spliner that needs to go in the planetary gear drive of the winch.

You all would fall over laughing at me if you saw how I made the spline. The outside of the spline needs to be 20.5 mm so I took a piece of 25mm round stock and drilled 12 holes 2.5mm on a 9.23 radius around the blank. Then I mounted the part in the lathe and turned it down to 20.5mm. Then back to the indexing table on the mill that I used to drill the holes. There I took a 6mm end mill and came in from the side and moved in between two teeth. This sort of chamfered the ends of the teeth. The one I made fits better than the one that was in the winch to start with from the factory. Worked on the first try. How is that for farmer ingenuity and tolerances!!!!
                            Last edited by Black Forest; 03-21-2014, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Sounds like a great way to make a spline.

Comment

Working...
                              X